Monday, June 13, 2011

Interview with walk-on Corey Paclebar, who is working as a tour guide this summer to pay for school

About getting the tour guide job this summer, Corey Paclebar (who was raised in Oakland) said:
"I didn't think I was going to get it. I thought there would be too many requisites." (HSA)


About how he found out about the job via an ad on Craigslist, Paclebar said:
"I called up, and they called me in. I took a few tests, and passed." (HSA)


HSA Note: "He said he drives a 13-passenger van, with tours from Diamond Head to Haleiwa. The tours can last up to six hours. The other day, he led a group from Australia. They were from the same hometown as punter Alex Dunnachie, Paclebar's roommate."


About the tours that he gives, Paclebar said:
"It's an eco tour, so I have to talk about geology and how the islands were formed. It's interesting. I like to  know about where I'm living, and the culture. Hawaii has a pretty interesting culture." (HSA)


Giving an example of a situation when language caused a problem for him, Paclebar said:
"I had a French group. They didn't speak any English, but they were really kind. We were going up to Diamond Head, and I said, 'When you get to the top, just wait for me.' I had to be the last one up because I had to make sure everybody went. By the time I got to the top, they were starting to walk down. I was like, 'Guys, hold on.' They didn't. The next time I saw them, they were at the bottom." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Paclebar, who will be a third-year sophomore, said he needed to work to remain in Hawaii this summer. He is listed as the top backup  to No. 1 slotbacks Miah Ostrowski and Billy Ray Stutzmann. Paclebar said he tries to join teammates in morning workouts. But if there is a conflict with his work schedule, he will work out on his own in the afternoon."


About staying in Hawaii this summer, Paclebar said:
"I want to be ready in case my team needs me. I'm working hard to stay in shape." (HSA)

http://warriorbeat.honadvblogs.com/2011/06/12/puka-shell-tour-guide

No comments:

Post a Comment