Thursday, August 30, 2007

Random Warrior Quotes

About how Oregon "pressured" him to practice 2 days after he stopped wearing a medical boot after surgery to remove scar tissue in his left ankle, Dowling said:
"I didn't want to lose my senior year like that." (HA)


About how Rich Miano expressed the most interest in his transfer plans after he contacted several schools, Dowling said:
"I liked what he was talking about." (HA)


Dowling said that his left ankle is:
"100 percent." (HA)

HA Note: "He said he will play either cornerback or safety."


HA Note: "Keenan Jones has rebounded from a difficult offseason to become the top backup to right cornerback Myron Newberry. Jones was suspended from spring training after missing several meetings. He eventually forfeited his football scholarship. But during the summer, he was allowed to rejoin the team, although his scholarship won't be reinstated until January."


About how he met with Keenan Jones days before the start of training camp, GM said:
"(Head coach) June (Jones) had given him another chance, and I felt I should, too." (HA)


About how coach McMackin had him start fresh under him, Keenan said:
"He gave me a new start. He told me: 'As long as you're handling things off the field, not embarrassing the team, doing what you're supposed to do, the sky's the limit.' " (HA)


About serving as the top backup to Newberry, Keenan said:
"I go out there trying to make plays. When you make plays, you can work your way up the depth chart." (HA)


About playing RG during scout drills yesterday, especially when they run their "Tampa" play where the guard pulls and serves as a lead blocker, Estes said:
During scout drills yesterday. I asked (right guard) Larry (Sauafea), 'Go play center for me.' I wanted to play guard. I missed pulling. I miss running downhill and hitting somebody." (HA)


About how JJ told Blaze that he would miss the UNC game if he couldn't practice without pain today, GM said:
"Coach Jones will make the decision. But there's no reason to take a chance on him pulling something." (HA)


About possibly missing the UNC game, Blaze said:
"I'll let the coaches make the decision. I felt good running. If I play, I play. If I don't, I don't." (HA)


About Blaze's chance to play in the UNC game, JJ said:
"If he goes full-speed tomorrow, he'll play. If not we'll hold him out." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Jones said he would evaluate Soares on tape and make a decision."


About how he finally is officially a graduate assistant with the team, instructing the CBs and serving as a quality-control coach for the D, coach Duffield (who earned his bachelor's degree last month and had his transcripes finally certified) said:
"I don't have any problems accepting the G.A. title. Whatever I have to do to help June Jones." (HA)


About helping out wherever he can, Duffield (known for his recruiting skills) said:
"There's no ego issues. I'm here to do exactly what I'm told." (HSB)


About preparing for UH's offense, UNC coach Scott Downing said:
"We went down to Denver and practiced against the Broncos for a while." (HA)

HA Note: "The line was met with silence, as if the strategy might not be far-fetched. Downing said his team has studied the pass routes of UH's four-wide offense."


About how it is hard to prepare for the offense, Downing said:
"The critical factor is in practice, you can't replicate the game speed." (HA)


About how starting LB Asa Matthews won't play because of academics, UNC coach Downing said:
"We'll miss Asa's athleticism, but we've got three junior linebackers who have played quite a bit of football." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Also, starting cornerback Aaron Henderson will not play for an undisclosed reason, but is making the trip, UNC media relations director Heather Kennedy said. Henderson led the Bears with three interceptions last year."


About LWJ, who he coached when he was the specials teams coach at Nebraska 2 years ago, Downing said:
"Leon's a great guy and we had a lot of fun with him. I hope he remembers that if he's in the middle of a long run against us." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment