Thursday, April 14, 2011

Features on Allen Sampson and Jordan Monico

About how he had trouble finding football shoes that fit him comfortably and ended up with bright fluorescent green cleats, Allen Sampson said:
"I had to get soccer cleats. They have long enough spikes so I can grip the ground. They just happen to look good, too." (HSA)


About his self-cut Mohawk (a friend applies pink or copper dye), Sampson said:
"When I left Tampa, I wanted to switch it up a bit. Everybody does it here." (HSA)


Praising Sampson's play at wideout this spring, Rolo said:
"He's having a great spring." (HSA)


About how he caught just 1 pass last year at slotback, Sampson said:
"I didn't play like I should have been playing because I was trying to learn the offense." (HSA)


HSA Note: "This spring, it was decided to give him some work as a wideout. He has responded so well — he made two catches for 54 yards in the Hilo scrimmage Saturday — the move will be permanent."


About being the #2 left wideout (behind Darius Bright), Sampson said:
"I like it outside. There's more space. (As a slotback) in high school, they didn't jam as much. In college ball, they try to jam you. I'm small, so a lot of times they knocked me off my route. But as far as outside, there's a lot more space." (HSA)


Hoping to add 15 to 20 pounds this offseason to his 145-pound frame, Sampson said:
"I'm going to work on getting stronger and using my hands better so I can get off the jam." (HSA)


About moving Jordan Monico from RB to MLB, Dave Aranda said:
"He's a natural bright guy. He's got some good football sense to him, and his instincts are suited for defense, especially linebacker. He has that sense for the football." (HSA)


Aranda said that he has worked on helping Monico:
"take command of the middle of the field. We challenged him, and he is getting progressively better." (HSA)


About being their #2 MLB this spring (behind George Daily-Lyles, with Corey Paredes returning from injury by training camp), Monico said:
"It's a pretty big jump. I'm learning. I'm trying to get the coverages and the keys." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110414_Sampsons_shoes_hair_catching_on_at_UH.html

No comments:

Post a Comment