Thursday, April 14, 2011

Feature on Sam Ohai and the Warriors upcoming need to cut up to 34 players

Hoping that he makes the cut for the Warriors, 6'2", 340-pound Sam Ohai said:
"I hope I make it." (HSA)


About how they need to cut about 34 players after the spring, Rich Miano said:
"There are a lot of things involved, like gender equity and the cost associated with fielding such a large team. We're going to have to make some tough decisions — decisions that involve people's dreams. It's the hardest thing we do." (HSA)


About how not every player gets the same chance to show what they can do, Rolo said:
"Football is not really a fair game, and not everyone is going to get the same opportunities. You'd like to say everyone will get the same opportunities. Everybody is going to get a look. That's about all you can say." (HSA)


About how the practice video catches everything for the coaches, Miano said:
"Take a guy like Rykin Enos. When it comes down to who the safeties are, he's probably going to make it because of his special teams play. For guys on the bubble, it's going to come down to how they play on special teams, how they can contribute to our team." (HSA)


About how he grew up with a lot of different influences, CB Terry Wilson said:
"I was always in the middle of who I wanted to be like. Sometimes I would be in trouble, and other times I would do well in school. Being away on my own helped me focus more." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Ohai, who was raised in the Washington D.C. area, attended three different junior colleges before enrolling at UH in 2010. He is a licensed Realtor who uses his past commissions to pay for his tuition and expenses. He also volunteers as a mentor for Farrington High students."


About how he's their biggest DL, Ohai said:
"Physically, I'm the biggest guy on the line. I think I bring another dimension to it, as far as run-stopping and collapsing the pocket." (HSA)


About how he didn't pass their walk-on tryout last year and is in his final year of eligibility, Ohai said:
"I'm not focusing on things I can't control. I've been trying to do my best every practice. Whether I make it or not, I'll keep working at whatever opportunity comes up. It's been a long ride. I hope to keep the ride going." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110414_Should_they_Stay_or_should_they_Go.html

No comments:

Post a Comment