Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Feature on redshirt freshman kicker Tyler Hadden

About making kicks from 35 and 42 years during the scrimmage on the Big Island, Tyler Hadden said:
I'm kind of out of a rhythm, but I'll get back into it once I get more live reps. It's definitely nice to get back kicking live." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Hadden was expected to push Scott Enos for kicking duties when he signed with the Warriors last year coming off a heralded career at California (Whittier, Calif.) High School. An injury to his kicking leg suffered early in fall camp sidetracked those plans and he spent the season as a redshirt."


About how he has to work hard to earn his starting kicker job, Hadden said:
"I had to work hard and prove myself last week and again this week when we scrimmage." (HSA)


About how he learned from Enos last season, Hadden said:
"He gave me a lot of tips and told me you can't worry about other stuff. You have to have a short memory as a kicker. If you miss a kick, you have to go out and make another kick." (HSA)


About how he had been doing well last year during fall camp until he injured his hip flexor, groin and thigh on his kicking leg, Hadden said:
"It was a lot. It wasn't the first time, but it was probably the worst I've had it. I did rehab, made it stronger, so I haven't had any problems with it since." (HSA)


About how he's gotten into a rhythm with long snapper Luke Ingram and holders Shane Austin and Cayman Shutter, Hadden said:
"Luke's a great snapper and he gets it there every time. I just worry about me because I trust my holders, and Luke's incredible with what he can do." (HSA)


About how walk-on kickers Kyle Niiro and Kenton Chun are competing with him, Hadden said:
"They're both great kickers. It keeps me competing and keeps me on my toes." (HSA)


About how freshman Moses Samia and sophomore Siasau Matagiese have gotten extra reps when senior DTs Vaughn Meatoga and Kaniela Tuipulotu have sat out due to injury, Tony Tuioti said:
"We have some depth and it's good to get those guys some reps. What we want to get out of this camp is to find some quality depth. It's good to see the guys competing and want to get better." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Tuioti said Matagiese, a Waimea graduate who began his career at Portland State, has been one of the biggest surprises of the spring among the defensive linemen."


About how Meatoga and Tuipulotu make a difference when they are in the game, Tuioti said:
"They definitely make a difference up front when they're in the game. Those guys are battle-tested guys and they understand schematically what they need to do and I think they know how to prepare themselves." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110412__Kicker_eager_to_face_heat.html

No comments:

Post a Comment