Friday, May 18, 2007

Quotes about Herman Frazier

Still hoping for a 13th game, HF said::
"We're on the phone every day on that 13th. When we have exhausted every avenue then we will announce that we've exhausted our avenues. But we're not there yet." (HA)


Season ticket holders won't be charged if UH gets an 8th home game, as HF said it would be:
"a bonus for our season-ticket holders, those people who stepped up to help us." (HA)


About the delay in announcing the UNC game, despite UNC players and media being told about the game last month, HF said:
"Northern Colorado's situation was we kept going back and forth on everything that should be in the contract." (HA)


Asked if playing two 1-AA teams will hurt their BCS chances even if they go undefeated, HF said:
"At the end of the day, if you run the table, you roll the dice to see where you are. Those things are not going to be decided right now. ... You won't know until December." (HA)

HA Note: "The deal means UH's first two home games will be against Division I-AA opponents. UH plays Charleston Southern on Sept. 22. A Division I-A team is permitted to count only one I-AA victory toward bowl qualification."


About seeking info on HF's expenses, Rep. Jerry Chang said:
"there's a lot of talk about his high pay and travel expenses and the trips that he is taking." (HA)

"he should be accountable." (HA)


"I'm hearing a lot about how dissatisfied people are." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Chang, chairman of the House Higher Education Committee, said he's received "20 and still coming in" complaints about Frazier since announcing the briefing last week, and some cite travel issues." (HSB)


About the Monday meeting, HF said:
"I look forward to being there on Monday and giving out our message." (HA)

"we put together all of our achievements for 2006-'07 and, I think, once we share that with the powers that be, I think they will feel the same way as we do about what's been accomplished." (HA)

"I think this will enlighten people as to what really goes on. We don't have anything to hide and I look forward to coming down there and sharing with them all the good things we have done at this university. ... If you look at all that's been accomplished here the past five years, to have all of that weighed against two particular incidents, I'm not sure is fair. But that's OK, this will give us the opportunity to show how we feel and also enlighten people as to what we have done." (HSB)

"I think people need to understand you want an aggressive athletic director who sits on national committees. It's not by mistake the WAC put me on the football issues committee. It's because I was president of the Fiesta Bowl and knew all the football coaches, and they know I know all the administrators there." (HSB)

HA Note: "But Chang said a number of people have raised questions about Frazier's operation of the department. Chang and others said most of the correspondence reaching them has so far been "negative." Much of it comes in the wake of recent controversies about facilities and scheduling.

Two weeks ago UH quarterback Colt Brennan blasted the state of some facilities at UH."


About how he does the same things as his AD colleagues, HF said:
"Work never stops. You're on the computer, you're on the telephone. When I look at my mentors in this business, like Kevin White at Notre Dame, I guarantee you he is on campus no more than two or three days a week. All I know is I don't do anything different than any of my colleagues." (HSB)

Note: Except they normally get their schedule done 2-3 years in advance AND don't play more than one D-1AA team.


About his travel records, HF said:
"I'm not sure what travel information you mean, because I haven't talked to Rep. Chang about that. But all the travel I do on behalf of the university is paid for by the university. All the jobs I do for other (organizations) is paid by them. Whatever anyone wants to ask us about that, we'll make that available." (HSB)

"Every athletic director in America travels extensively as part of their job. But I haven't been to an Olympic meeting since '04. I'm not sure where the travel issue comes from. If you ask me how much travel I've done the last two years, you know this, 12 to 14 (trips) are for football, five to seven are either WAC or NCAA meetings. That's 75 percent of it right there. Take out those things, I'm not sure what else is left." (HSB)


Chang said that the meeting is not meant to be a:
"lynch Herman Frazier hearing, like people would like it to be. That's why we're not taking public testimony. We want to learn about plans and revenue sources. If the legislation is needed to be done in the next session for things like funding requirements, we need to know right away. It's for the members (of the House and Senate education committees) to sit and listen and after have an opportunity to ask questions. That may turn into a lynching mob, because I'm sure some members are getting input from the public to ask certain questions." (HSB)


About how they had planned to be briefed months ago, but it seems that Colt speaking out brought about this briefing now:
"We planned on this, had planned it before the session. We get the UH president and the chancellors to give us overviews about issues like funding and priorities and plans. Because I'm a sports fan, I wanted to hear from Herman Frazier, primarily about coaches' salaries. But we got so tied up with the session, we didn't have time to schedule it. When the Colt Brennan thing came up, people asked, 'What can be done?' The answer is exactly what we'll be doing." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment