Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quotes from the Spring Ohana Gathering

Asked what he meant when he said he liked the person he was becoming in Hawaii when he decided to stay at UH for his senior season, Colt said:
"I think for me, I came here in kind of such crisis in my life, at a time when I was in such crisis, and just trying to grow up and become a man, and mature and everything. I came here kind of as still a kid, I was still growing up. And now I feel kind of like I've had a couple years where I've been kind of in the spotlight, and really have grown up a lot. And as I've been growing up, I just like the person -- kind of the morals and the values that Hawaii has, that's good about it, I kind of like those. I'm really just enjoying the person I'm becoming out here in Hawaii. Not just only as a football player, but as a person as well." (HSB)


About how they accomplished their goals for Spring Practice, JJ said:
"We got done what we set out to do this spring, looked at a lot of guys. We wanted to make sure we gave everybody an opportunity." (HSB)


About the line of fans waiting for his autograph, Colt said:
"It was crazy, but obviously if that's happening you're doing something right. I was glad to see it." (HSB)


About having their Ohana Gathering at Aloha Stadium, JJ said:
"The kids get excited to come down to the stadium, and it's good for the fans to see a lot of the players." (HSB)


About waiting 90 minutes for Colt to sign a helmet that he says won't end up on eBay, Steve Lin said:
"It was well worth the wait. Part of something special. He's an NFL prospect and he's brought so much attention to Hawaii. Off the field he's awesome, he seemed like a really nice guy." (HSB)


About how the autograph sessions started 15 minutes early and ended 20 minutes late, Scott Tanijo (who got his jersey signed with just 5 minutes left in the extended time) said:
""I heard them talking and they said they would extend to 6:45, so I felt better." (HSB)


About how there was a long line when they cut off the autograph session, associate AD John McNamara said:
"I think this type of event clearly demonstrated the interest in this year's football team, so as successful as this event was we're going to have other opportunities for the fans to come out and meet the players. It was really important for us that we do something that was a way to reach out to the community and allow them to really embrace this year's football team." (HSB)


Lynn Davis talked about how her 7-year-old son Justin's first UH game at Aloha Stadium was the Purdue game:
"It got him fired up and now he wants to go to every game." (HA)


Justin's Dad Kevin said abuot the autographs given out at the Gathering:
"I think it's great that (UH) is doing this. It's nice to get out, and the kids can get up close to their favorite football players." (HA)


Lester Kaichi of Aiea said about Colt:
"When I saw Colt at the news conference (announcing his decision to return to UH), by the look on his face I didn't think he was coming back. I was really surprised and happy." (HA)


Jennifer Stevens (33) talked about why she and her son Jeremy (9) didn't mind waiting for an hour for Colt's autograph:
"We have our reasons." (HA)

"I think he's hot. I'm not into football but with a guy like Colt, I think you can bring more females into the game." (HA)


Asked why he liked Colt, Jeremy said:
"Who?" (HA)


Prompted (by his Mom) that Colt was the player he always watches, Jeremy said:
"Oh. He's my favorite player." (HA)


Kevin Lopez talked about how his daughter Brandi (7) is a fan of Colt:
"She likes Colt. She says he's her boyfriend." (HA)


Kaena Gascon (14) predicted for UH:
"Win the WAC." (HA)


Happy they got to meet the fans, Soloman Eliminian said:
"I think it's great. It's fun for us to get to know the fans before the season." (HA)


While signing autographs with his injured right hand Tyler Graunke said:
"It's getting a little sore." (HA)


Asked who was the more valuable off-season retention, he or Colt, Bob Nash said:
"I think it's Colt. I'll put the pressure on him." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment