Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quotes about the new Warrior Defense

GM said that the Warrior defense:
"will be a blitzing team. If you were to put our philosophy into words, it's an attacking, swarming defense that gang tackles and makes big plays with emotion." (HA)


About how he was able to implement most of his 4-3 defense this Spring, GM said:
"We have smart, coachable players, and they learned everything quickly." (HA)

"We've got in more than we did the first time I was here. These guys are really smart players and have done a great job of picking up things. I'm really excited about this bunch. I threw a lot at them." (HSB)


About how they might blitz on every play, GM said:
"We're going to go 11 up and go after some people." (HA)


About how he developed his aggressive philopsophy while the defensive coordinator at Miami, GM said:
"That came from Jimmy Johnson, trying to get the fastest guys on the field to make plays. Size is the big thing for our two tackles, but everything else is speed. And our tackles can run, too. The main thing is coach (June) Jones allows us to blitz, which a lot of coaches don't." (HA)


Praising their DEs (Noa, Purcell, Clore, Veikune, Maka), GM said:
"They're perfect in this package. They can all run. They can pass rush. They're all around 250, 260 pounds." (HA)


About how the starting LBs can stay on the field when they go to the 3-3-5 Okie defense, GM said:
"It gives us an advantage when our linebackers don't have to leave the field." (HA)

Note: The nickleback replaces a DT in that scheme.


Praising Patek, GM said:
"He's learned how to go to the football. He's doing great." (HA)


About how they picked up GM's defense well this Spring, Patek said:
"We got everything done that was on the agenda, and even more than what Coach wanted to put in because we handled it so well. I think we're going to start off on the right foot and build from there." (HSB)


About how he'll spend the next 2 weeks meeting 1-on-1 with each defensive player, GM said:
"I want to get to know all of them a little better." (HA)

Note: I love that GM will take the time to meet with each player individually!


About how he's at UH to stay, GM said:
"I'm going to be here as long as June is here. I'm not going anywhere." (HA)


Asked what he'd do if another school offered him a lucrative deal, GM said:
"If something came up, I'm going to stay right here with June Jones. Fortunately (Texas Tech and the 49ers) did give me a lot of money, and now I'm not as concerned about money. Back then, I had to do that. Now I don't have to do that. I like it here. I love June Jones. I think he's the best coach in the country." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment