Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quotes from Reagan Mauia from before the draft

I thank Tombo for finding this article from the Lodi News-Sentinel and posting about it on The Warrior Beat. By the way, if you haven't visisted Tombo's blog you are missing the best fan-generated UH Football site that I know of. The link is on the right and the address is uhfootball.blogspot.com.


Asked if he thought he would be drafted, Mauia said:
"Sure, I think I'll be drafted. I've taken a couple of visits and been in contact with teams. I've visited Miami, Arizona and the Chargers. I would love to go down to Miami and play for the Dolphins. They've shown the most interest in me. Or San Diego. I would love to be under the tutelage of (Chargers fullback) Lorenzo Neal before he retires." (LNS)


Asked what he planned to do during the draft, Mauia said:
"Go to the beach or work out. I don't think I can watch. I'm not expected to be drafted, but I'm hoping for the best. I would love to get drafted. I've been fighting an uphill battle all my life. But I don't think I'll watch. I'll work out in the morning and then go to the beach. But I'll have my phone on." (LNS)


Asked if switching from DL to RB was good for his potential NFL career, Mauia said:
"I believe it was the best move. Coach (June) Jones and I decided to go for it. In the league, physical defensive lineman go about 6-2 and around 300 pounds. Some are as tall as 6-6. (Mauia is 6-0 and currently weighs 270 pounds.) I want to be on the field wherever a coach feels he can use me." (LNS)

Note: In hindsight JJ was right once again, just like with Ikaika.


Asked about his weight, Mauia said:
"The most I ever weighed was 380, right after a season. I was lifting hard, not running, eating a lot and sitting on my butt.

I came in at 350 pounds at Hawaii. When I moved to fullback I started to lose weight. I played at about 330 the last couple of games in 2005. I was moving OK but thought I could be more powerful playing at a lighter weight. In 2006, I showed up at spring ball weighing 284 pounds. I played my senior season at about 290.

During my pro day workouts (when a school's draft prospects work out in front of NFL scouts) I weighed in at 270. They thought I could move well, so there's no need to be any lighter." (LNS)


Asked what was the most he's eaten in one sitting, Mauia said:
"I don't know. Last year my roommate dared me to eat a triple Whopper and a double Whopper from Burger King. I did it. I got sick afterwards, but I won the bet. He dared me and I don't back down." (LNS)


Asked if he had any nicknames, Mauia said:
"They call me Juggernaut (from the movie X-Men) around here." (LNS)


Asked who was his favorite NFL player and why, Mauia said:
"I'd have to say Lorenzo Neal. He's just a hard-working animal. He's peaking in his later years. He's in his prime right now. He's a beast. I would love to take his spot and continue the fullback tradition, that old-school, hit-you-in-the-mouth football." (LNS)


Asked how his young son motivates him, Mauia said:
"My son is my biggest motivation. He's changed the way I look at life. He made realize there's more to life than just living and dying. He made me a better man. I was just a boy before he came along. I've matured. I've learned to walk away from fights. It's the greatest gift a man could ever ask for." (LNS)


Asked what he would do if the NFL doesn't work out, Mauia said:
"I'd love to finish my degree and be a juvenile counselor back in the 209 area code.

Growing up I had a lot of conflicts and a lot of people were counselors to me. I would love to give back and help other people do good.

My greatest counselor in high school was coach (John) Hunt. I gave him hell, but he was kept helping me and guiding me down right path

I owe a lot to him. His family is like family to me." (LNS)


Asked what would be his first purchase if he made it to the NFL, Mauia said:
"I'd probably move my parents from where they are now and get them a nice place. Get them in a safer neighborhood and closer to me. My parents took care of me. Now I want to give back." (LNS)

No comments:

Post a Comment