Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quotes about Samson and Ikaika being drafted

About his reaction to being drafted, Ikaika said:
"I just broke down. I couldn't save any tears. It was an amazing thing." (HA)


About his reaction to being drafted, Samson said:
"After I talked to the Miami guy, I saw my dad and gave him a big hug. And then everything just came out. All of my tears just came out. It took me an hour to recover." (HA)


Not being overconfident after projections had said he'd be drafted on Saturday (rounds 1-3), Samson said:
"You never know." (HA)


About his anticipation for the draft, Samson said:
"I couldn't sleep. I stayed up more than 24 hours. I drove around at 4 o'clock in the morning. I went to Fast Stop and got a couple of Red Bulls. I thought (the draft) started at 5. It started at 6. I had to wait another hour." (HA)


About how Ikaika couldn't take the tension of watching the draft, his father Joe Francis (who played for the Packers) said:
"I turned around, and he was gone. I said, 'Where's Ikaika?' They told me he had to leave." (HA)


About how he went to the driving range with former UH punter Kurt Milne during the draft, Ikaika said:
"I was going crazy, man. I had to do something. I couldn't take it anymore." (HA)


About how his cell phone rang soon after he got to the driving range, Ikaika said:
"It was a 313 number. I thought, 'This could be it.' I answered the phone, and the voice on the other end said: 'Welcome to the Motor City.' I started going crazy. I started screaming and yelling. And then I started giving away my golf balls. I just bought a bucket and I'm like, 'I don't care.' " (HA)


About watching the draft, Samson said:
"It was nerve-wracking. I had my hat down low. My pillow was covering my face. I tried not to look at the TV. I was sitting there for a long time. It was a long wait." (HA)


About how there was a slight panic when ESPN's draft coverage ended, until they realized that the coverage had moved to ESPN2, Samson said:
"All we had to do was click the channel button, and everything was better." (HA)


About being drafted by the Dolphins, Samson said:
"I know I have a lot of work to do, but I'm so happy I was drafted. It's so hard to explain." (HA)

"I am speechless right now. I am so happy for Ikaika and I'm praying for our other boys (to be drafted). Anywhere would have been good, but I was pretty sure it was going to be Miami. They had the most interest and I love their coach. I've never been there, but I think it will be easy to get used to." (HSB)


Ikaika, who will report to Detroit's mini-camp on Thursday, talked about being drafted:
"It's a dream come true. I never thought I'd be in this position. Never. I mean, what do you know? I'm in the National Football League. Me. Unbelievable." (HA)


About how Detroit always plays on Thanksgiving, Ikaika said:
"Happy Thanksgiving." (HA)


Samson, who will leave on Thursday for the Dolphins' introductory dinner and stay for mini-camp, said about going to Miami:
"It's going to be a fun ride from now on. I'm going to make my way around Miami and try to find Shaq." (HA)


Samson's agent Leo Goeas (former UH and NFL lineman) said about the draft:
"After Kalil got picked, I texted Larry with 'Miami.' Then came the call (from the Dolphins) and then his name flashed. He was the first from our company to go (in the draft). There was a lot of jubilation and cheering here. I thought it was really cool that he and Ikaika were so close together. He's such a great kid whose potential is untapped." (HSB)


About the draft, Goeas said:
"I think Dane should be the next of my guys to go, probably fourth, fifth round. But the draft is never a perfect science. Esera is right up there and Mel and Nate should go sixth, seventh round. I remember what it was like, the stress of waiting, watching, seeing the clips of players then all of a sudden your phone rings and there's someone saying, 'We just took you.' Sixty seconds it's on TV." (HSB)

HSB note: "When watching yesterday, Goeas noticed something else. Both he and Satele were the 60th pick overall on their respective draft days, Goeas going to San Diego in 1990 early in the third round. But the bonus money is a world apart 17 years later. Goeas said he signed for $127,000, while Satele is expecting around $1.1 million."


About the expected $1.4 mil he'll get as a signing bonus, Ikaika said:
"I'm going to stash it away. I'll take care of my family, of course. Having that amount of money ... I just want it to be the start of something good." (HSB)


Happy about how Ikaika and Samson were taken in the 2nd round, JJ said:
"I'm really excited for them and their families. I was hoping they'd go first or second round. And to have them drafted so close to each other got our program a lot of play on ESPN. Sam is going to be a great player. Ikaika is very physical and is only going to get better. I think we've got at least four more with a shot Sunday." (HSB)


About how he watched the draft and is hopeful for his prospects, Nate Ilaoa said:
"I'm doing OK. I'm happy for my teammates, a little surprised about their teams, but happy for them. I'm hoping for the best. I'll wait and see." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment