Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Q&A with Bryant Moniz from the Orlando Sentinel

OS = Orlando Sentinel


Asked how their team compares to last year, Bryant Moniz said:
"We have a lot of raw talent on the team but talent isn't going to get us to where we were last year. Last year we were so good because we had a year under our belt of working together with the receivers. We don't have that this year, so it's a little more challenging for us but we just have to get on the same page. That's what makes this offense work, getting the receivers and the quarterback all on the same page. " (OS)


Asked if they are going to work on getting on the same page this summer, Moniz said:
"We're currently working on that, getting together with each other, and not only just playing football, kind of just bonding  and getting to know each other is part of it too." (OS)


Asked if it is important during the summer for their team to get together and work on getting ready for the fall, Moniz said:
"It's definitely important. You see Drew Brees and all of those guys holding practices while the [NFL] lockout is in and that's kind of like the same sort of thing we have to do as players. We try to get the guys together to work out while our coaches aren't here." (OS)


Asked if it bothers him that he doesn't get much recognition nationally because his games are on late for East Coast viewers, Moniz said:
"Not really. I think I more so just play for my family and my home and being from Hawaii, I didn't have too much of a knowledge of the East Coast even before I started playing for Hawaii. The big thing for me is representing myself and my family here on the island. Whether we get national recognition, it doesn't mean too much to me. Football doesn't change still. I still have to play the same way I've been playing." (OS)


Asked if it was always his dream to play for Hawaii, Moniz said:
"I think for a lot of local guys, they all want to try and get off the Island. I think once I saw Colt Brennan's years, I knew that I wanted to play for Hawaii." (OS)


Asked if seeing what Colt did at UH inspires him to reach those heights, Moniz said:
"Our coach really emphasizes that there is no pro team in Hawaii, and we are like the biggest thing on the Island and when Colt had a great year, you could tell that the vibe around the Island was a different mood and everybody was proud to be from Hawaii. I think that motivated me to kind of bring that same effect to the Island and just make the people of Hawaii proud." (OS)


Asked if he has a pretty big family that comes out to support him, Moniz said:
"Maybe about 30 to 40 people. They take up a few parking spaces in the parking lot." (OS)


Asked if it is hard being a student-athlete and a parent, Moniz said:
"It can be difficult and it can be a handful but I try to use it as my motivation to do something good and to make a better life for my daughter." (OS)


Asked if playing in the NFL is something he wants to do, Moniz said:
"I guess I kind of doubt myself a little bit but I see guys like Drew Brees play and other guys that aren't the typical 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4 quarterback that everyone is looking for succeed. But after the NFL Draft and seeing a couple of my buddies get picked up, I kind of got motivated to reach for that goal and obtain that dream." (OS)


http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2011/06/qa-with-hawaii-qb-bryant-moniz.html

No comments:

Post a Comment