Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Jake Ingram hates it when people want to talk football with him and don't even know what a long snapper is

PL = Patriot Ledger


About how people in Hawaii did not panic over the the tsunami warning in Hawaii in February, Jake Ingram said:
"Nobody was really panicking in Hawaii. I think that people who weren't in Hawaii were the ones panicking, calling (and asking), 'Are you guys all right? Is the tsunami coming?'  Most of us, actually a lot of people were up on the cliffs and high on the hills watching. You could see the water moving. I think the tsunami was supposed to hit at like 11:30 (a.m.). It didn't hit and as soon as the tsunami warning was done, me and four of my friends were out on a boat in the water." (PL)


About how people were calm during the tsunami warning, Ingram said:
"We're pretty laid back (in Hawaii).People were having tailgates and stuff. Thankfully, nothing bad happened. But it was kind of an excuse for everybody to go out and sit up on hills and hang out.  It wasn't a big deal. I just stayed at home, but when I was driving down to the north shore, when you go down this hill you can see the water and in this Haleiwa town (on Oahu) everybody was on the hill looking out watching for whatever was supposed to be coming." (PL)


About how he cannot surf much now that he's in the NFL, Ingram said:
"There's a fear. I'm careful with what I do and I kind of know my limits.  I've been around the water my whole life. When I'm home, I'm in and around the water every day. If I'm not surfing, I'm body surfing or diving or just swimming. Something's going on." (PL)


About how he hasn't seen sharks like so many others, Ingram said:
"I haven't seen sharks (while) surfing. I've seen a big monk seal next to me that scared me. I've seen things in the water that possibly could have been a shark, but I just kind of turned my shoulder to it. I've been surfing a few times where they closed the beach because people had seen sharks, but nothing crazy.  I've heard stories of guys on their paddleboards getting followed by sharks or a turtle getting eaten next to them while they're surfing, (but he's never experienced any of that). Out on a boat, I'll see sharks. There's a little buoy outside of Haleiwa and as soon as the boat shows up the sharks are there." (PL)


About how he's acclimated to his new environment, Ingram said:
"When I first came out here, it was June (of last year) and it rained like every day and I was like, 'Why do people live here?'  But since I've been here, I really enjoy the outdoor things.  I'm a saltwater fisherman, but I've learned how to freshwater (fish) and I love it. I like to hunt and you guys have all kinds of wildlife. It's really nice out here.   A lot of people ask me, 'Have you been to Boston? Honestly, I've probably been there like 10 times because I'm not a big-city guy, which is why I like this Foxboro area. It's more suburbs, more country. You can get away and not be around all the commotion." (PL)


About being able to handle the pressure of being a long snapper, Ingram said:
"There's pressure in every job." (PL)


About how some people want to talk football with him but don't know what a long snapper is, Ingram said:
"People will ask (what he does for a living). I tell them I'm a long snapper. Some of them don't even what it is. They're like, 'What?' I've had people call me a long kicker. I'm like, 'Read up on it a little, man. Don't talk to me about football if you're going to call me a long kicker.'  I try to avoid it a little bit. Just say I'm out from Hawaii for work. It's the exact truth." (PL)


http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/pros/x1809787888/Both-on-the-field-and-off-it-Patriots-Ingram-s-approach-is-a-snapLong-snapper-Jake-Ingram-says-that-he-and-the-majority-of-the-residents-back-home-in-Hawaii-were-unfazed-by-a-tsunami-warning-during-the-offseason-It-s-little-wonder-then-that-he-shrugs-off-pressure-when-pressed-into-action

No comments:

Post a Comment