Friday, August 20, 2010

Feature on UH LBs Corey and Parker Paredes

About his brother teaching him hot to hit, Corey Paredes said:
"The first time I put on pads he wanted to show me how to hit, and unluckily for me he took me off my feet. Ever since then I committed myself to taking him off his feet." (HSA)


HSA Note: "In his fourth year in the program, Corey is the likely starter at weakside linebacker. Parker transferred from Southern Oregon and joined the team in the spring with one season of eligibility remaining. Parker gave up a scholarship, a year of eligibility and a starting spot for a shot at playing Division I ball and, finally, holding a spot on the same roster as Corey."


About how watching Corey convinced him to take a shot at joining UH, Parker Paredes said:
"Watching my little brother run around on defense was kind of big and I wanted to be a part of that. I got to start and play for two years (at Southern Oregon) and that was great. But I think taking the next step up to the next level was necessary. ... Now I have to pay for school, but it's all worth it." (HSA)


About how his brother taught him so much about football, Corey said:
"He taught me about commitment and discipline and just to love the game. He always loved football, and it's good to have an older brother lead by example so you can follow his ways." (HSA)


About being added to the training camp roster when Alema Tachibana was hurt, Parker said:
"I only have one more year and I wanted to know what camp was like, a D-I camp. The first day I came out with pads, but they told me I had to come out with (just) a helmet." (HSA)


About how Corey understands UH's defense, Dave Aranda said:
"(Corey's) got a real good feel for what the defense is. He's got a better understanding of taking on blocks and playing the run. Last year he was a situational guy and this year he's going to be more of an every-down guy." (HSA)


About Corey and Parker, Aranda said:
"They both love to hit. I can only imagine those guys as little kids tearing it up." (HSA)


Asked what growing up was like with 4 brothers, Parker said with a laugh:
"It was always crazy. One guy was always crying, one guy was always screaming, always hitting each other." (HSA)


About how his 9-year-old brother Hunter is in his first season of Pop Warner football, Corey sad:
"He's loving it. We're going to try to make him the best." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100820_Brothers_in_harm.html

No comments:

Post a Comment