Friday, November 27, 2009

Quotes about the Warriors in the Hawaii papers (Elliott Purcell, Ivin Jasper, Bryant Moniz, Fonoti features)

About how he has suffered through a stinger all season, resulting in sharp jolts to his shoulders and neck, Elliott Purcell said:
"Every time I would get hit, there would be pain in my neck." (HA)


HA Note: "Ice packs and rest were the only treatments to alleviate the condition. Purcell, who was limited in practices, eventually ceded the left end's job to sophomore Liko Satele. But now Purcell is relatively healthy, and his run-stopping ability is needed against Navy's triple-option attack. The Midshipmen are third nationally in rushing (282.55 yards per game), and they run 89 percent of the time."


About how they will rely on Purcell's run-stopping skills against Navy, DL coach Dave Aranda said:
"Elliott has shown himself to be a real effective run defender. The weeks we've asked him to play the run, he's done well for us. I think this will be a big week for him." (HA)


"He plays with low pad level in the run game. I think the best attribute is how he strikes with his hands, and is physical." (HA)


About defending against running plays, Purcell said:
"With run-stopping, there's more contact, there's more hitting. It's more physical. I'm a more physical person. Off the field, I'm calm and relaxed. When I go on the field, I turn the switch on." (HA)


About how he and several other members of his church clean school campuses in Waipahu, Purcell said:
"You feel better when you clean everything up. There's a sense of accomplishment, like, 'I did something good for someone else.' It's humbling." (HA)


About how he likes to clean, Purcell said:
"I like to clean. When I see something dirty, I clean it. ... My son is messy with his toys. I'm always picking up after him." (HA)


About how his row of lockers (with Cory Daniel, Clint Daniel, Miah Ostrowski, Kainoa LaCount, Adrian Thomas, and Austin Hansen) is the cleanest for the Warriors, Purcell said:
"Our aisle is the cleanest. We take pride in that. I challenge any of the other guys to see who has the cleanest aisle." (HA)


About how then-UH head coach Bob Wagner visited his home during the 1989 recruiting period, Ivin Jasper said:
"I still remember the look on his face when he got out of the car. He looked petrified." (HA)


About how he grew up in Watts in an area rules by gangs, Jasper said:
"It was definitely a rough neighborhood, but I was lucky. People told me I was blessed. I had a chance to get out of there, and I made the most out of it." (HA)


Proud of how Jasper has done at Navy, which has qualified for their 6th consecutive bowl, Wagner said:
"I'm proud of him." (HA)


HA Note: "Jasper, who joined former UH offensive coordinator Paul Johnson at Navy in 1995, also had stints at Indiana State and Georgia Southern, before returning to Navy in 2002. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2008, when another former UH quarterback, Ken Niumatalolo was promoted to head coach."


About the support that he got as a kid, Jasper said:
"It was the support from a lot of people in my neighborhood. I was trying to do something positive, so the gangs left me alone. ... They said, 'Hey, do your thing.' ... I had a lot of support from my family, friends, teachers." (HA)


Accepting the pressure that comes with his job, Jasper said:
"We are in a straight-line profession. You win or you get fired. We understand there is no gray line. I like it that way. You have to go out there and produce." (HA)


About how it was important for him to keep Jasper at Navy when he became head coach, Ken Niumatalolo said:
"I think he's the best option quarterback coach in the country. He was my No. 1 recruit." (HSB)


About why he chose to stay at Navy instead of joining Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, Jasper said:
"Some people assumed it was because I could move up to coordinator. It really wasn't that. I realized this is where I wanted to be, because of the players. Academy life is tough. I see them before practice just trying to get a couple of minutes of sleep, because that's the only time they can. Not that I'm a genius or anything, but I wanted to stay and help them succeed as much as possible because of their commitment and the sacrifices they're making." (HSB)


About how talented Jasper was when he arrived at UH, former teammate John Veneri said:
"He could play any position on the field. He easily threw the ball 75-80 yards, powerful arm. Smart. Read defenses well. You had to under Johnson." (HSB)


About how Jasper benefitted by moving from backup QB (to Michael Carter) to slotback, Ken Niumatalolo said:
"(Playing slot) definitely helped him. Coach Johnson and Coach (Bob) Wagner wanted me to move, too. But I was too stubborn." (HSB)


About coming to Hawaii to play against UH, Jasper said after their practice yesterday at Aloha Stadium:
"It's an eerie feeling. Life's full of surprises." (HSB)


About the final throw that Bryant Moniz made in practice, hitting Pilares in stride deep down the middle for a TD on 4th-and-9 in their 2-minute drill, Rolo said;
"That ball's where it's supposed to be. He made a great throw in a tough situation, no hesitation and showed he's pretty much ready." (HSB)


About how Moniz will start against Navy, Mac said:
"He'll be our starter." (HSB)


HSB Note: "After a somewhat rusty showing in his return, Moniz took on a heavier workload and appeared to throw with greater authority yesterday. Along with the closing touchdown, he went 5-for-5 during a third-down period."


About how he feels more confidence in Moniz after yesterday's practice, Rolo said:
"I feel a lot more confident. Doing what he did today I feel a lot better. That turkey will go down a lot easier." (HSB)

"More velocity and the number of reps may have doubled from yesterday. All good signs." (HSB)


Praising Moniz's play in practice yesterday, Mac said:
"He threw a lot better today than he did yesterday. He was accurate. He's playing through (the injury) and will get better and better." (HSB)


About taking his team to the Arizona Memorial before yesterday's practice, Niumatalolo said:
"I've been planning for this trip in the back of my mind for a long time. I've gone from doing this and doing that, and ultimately we're getting ready for a football game. But I knew the Arizona Memorial was one thing we couldn't cut out because that's who we represent and it's a big part of who these guys are." (HSB)


About being back in Hawaii, Niumatalolo said:
"It's great to be home. I'm excited for our young men to experience Hawaii. I've gotta watch that we don't enjoy it too much because we've still got a game to play on Saturday, but we're excited to be here." (HSB)


About how he has just two regular season games left at UH, Fetaiagogo "John" Fonoti said:
"Time's running out and I still have a lot to do." (HSB)


About how Fonoti returned for the Louisiana Tech game after being injured the week before the season opener and wasn't fully healthy for awhile afterwards, Mac said:
"But now he's full speed and I really expect him in these next games to really jump off the screen." (HSB)


About Fonoti's amazing physical ability, George Lumpkin (who works with the DEs) said:
"He's kind of a physical freak. It's like he never gets tired. He goes to the weight room now, but even when he wasn't he was really strong, probably one of the strongest players on the team. And he runs like a DB." (HSB)


About how Academics forced him to sit out the 2006 season, Fonoti said:
"It was a lesson learned; I made some mistakes when I got here. A couple times I thought I was done playing football. But I just love playing. I love anything to do with sports. I kept pushing to get back to football." (HSB)


About how Fonoti played despite being hampered by his knee injury this season, Lumpkin said:
"He hasn't complained. It's got to be really something serious for him to complain. He's a good guy to coach -- when you tell him something he does it." (HSB)


About wanting to finish his Warrior career properly, Fonoti said:
"I have to take care of football and school and make sure everything works out." (HSB)


http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091127/SPORTS0201/911270369&template=UHsports

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20091127_QB_Moniz_shows_hes_ready_to_go.html

http://blogs.starbulletin.com/uhsportsextra/moniz-solidifies-starting-job/

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/20091127_Jasper_a_key_ingredient_in_Navys_rushing_success.html

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/20091127_Fonoti_craves_big_finish.html

No comments:

Post a Comment