Friday, November 27, 2009

Feature story on Coach McMackin in the Annapolis Capital Gazette

CG = (Annapolis) Capital Gazette


About how he loves to be the head coach at UH, Mac said:
"This has proven to be a wonderful opportunity. My family loves it here in Hawaii. I love the university, the people and particularly the players." (CG)


CG Note: "McMackin's coaching odyssey has taken him to 12 different colleges and three professional teams. The Southern Oregon graduate began his career at Aloha High in Beaverton, Ore."


About how he moved from job to job during his career, Mac said:
"I've never been one to go out looking for a job. I just tried to do well at the one I had. Whenever a better opportunity came along, I took it." (CG)


About how he enjoyed his one season as Navy's defensive coordinator, Mac said:
"I absolutely loved it there. The town is beautiful and the academy is an incredible place. Of course, the players were very special people. I still get phone calls and e-mails from some of them." (CG)


About how he had to take the head coaching job at UH when he was offered it, Mac said:
"This just sort of worked out. You don't get an opportunity to run your own program very often so naturally I had to take it." (CG)


About how he believes in the run-and-shoot and Ron Lee's knowledge of the offense, Mac said:
"We all have an association with the run-and-shoot and believe in the offense. Ron Lee knows this offense as well as anybody other than June or Mouse so it made sense to keep it." (CG)


CG Note: "This is actually McMackin's second stint as a head coach as he held that position at Oregon Tech from 1986-89. Ron Lee served as offensive coordinator for McMackin at the NAIA school and employed the run-and-shoot."


About facing Navy, his third opponent this season that he coached at (Idaho and SJSU were the others), Mac said:
"I've obviously got great respect for Navy. Having been there, I know how tough those kids are and the passion they have for playing the game. This is definitely a special game for me because of my connection to the Naval Academy." (CG)


http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/nas/2009/11/27-24/Ex-Navy-assistant-settles-in-Hawaii.html

No comments:

Post a Comment