Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ikaika Malloe (DT coach and special teams coordinator) leaves for Yale

About accepting the defensive coordinator job at Yale, Ikaika Malloe said:
"This might have been the most stressful decision I ever made. My heart will always be here. It's been a dream of mine to not only be a coordinator, but to one day be a head coach. You'll never know if you'll get another chance. I don't want to regret not taking it." (HA)

"It's very tough. Even now that I've made the decision it's still tough. ... It's been very stressful over the last week. My ultimate goal, like I told Coach McMackin, is to someday be in his position (as a head coach). I feel God has blessed me with this opportunity and I want to make the best of it." (HSB)

Malloe laughed as he said:
"You've got a local boy at an Ivy League school? Now I have to brush up on my English."


About his long history with Tom Williams (former UH defensive coordinator), Malloe said:
"Tom and I have a long history and, like a lot of other coaches, Tom has been one of my biggest mentors." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Williams, a former Hawaii assistant who was introduced as Yale's new head coach Jan. 7, was an assistant with the Huskies from 1999 to 2001. Malloe, a standout Huskies safety, began his coaching career as a student assistant at Washington in 1997 and stayed in Seattle until 2001."


About how Malloe made him a better player, Jake Ingram said:
"I'm glad I got to spend that year with him and got to see a different perspective on special teams. In the spring he worked with me on some things that really helped me with my snapping and made me a more confident player. A lot of the success I had this year is because of him." (HSB)

"He's an awesome coach." (HA)


Mac praised Malloe's work during:
"the transition year." (HA)

"Ikaika did a great job on the field and in recruiting for us and I wish him and his family all the best." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment