Friday, January 16, 2009

6'7" lineman Pierce Burton commits to the Warriors!

About committing to the Warriors, 6'7", 250-pound Pierce Burton from Rio Americano High (Sacramento) said:
"I decided to commit. It's the place for me." (HA)

HA Note: "By accepting, he is turning down an appointment from the U.S. Military Academy. He also received interest from Boise State and San Jose State."

About how he could be an OL or DL for the Warriors, Burton said:
"Right now, (the Warriors) are recruiting me as an athlete. It depends on how my body develops. If I stay the same size and get stronger, I'll be a defensive lineman. They're hoping I'll gain 50 pounds and be an offensive tackle. They think with my height and build, I should be an offensive lineman." (HA)

About how he thought he would be a college basketball player after he was 6'6" in the 8th grade but he grew only an inch more, Burton said:
"I always wanted to play football. But I was concerned I might get hurt and wouldn't be able to pursue basketball. But now everything is falling into place as far as football goes." (HA)

HA Note: "He joined the football team, as a tight end, in August 2007. During spring training in April 2008, he began working out as a lineman on both offense and defense. The Raiders were 8-2 during the 2008 regular season. They lost in the first round of the playoffs. Burton was named the Raiders' top defensive lineman. He had 70 tackles and 11 sacks."

HA Note: "Burton gained notice when he attended the Nike combine in Oakland. Out of more than 1,000 players, he was ranked No. 4. The top three were running backs. The rankings were based on an index that corresponds to a player's height and weight with his performance in the 40-yard dash, pro-agility shuttle, vertical jump and powerball throw. Burton's score was the best nationally among offensive linemen and tight ends. At the combine, he ran the 40 in 5.0 seconds, had a vertical jump of 30 inches and threw the 7-pound powerball 45 feet. The powerball replaced the bench-press drill as a measuring tool. He is capable of benching a maximum 350 pounds."

About his recruiting trip to Hawaii last weekend, where Aaron Kia, John Estes, and Jeramy Bryant were his hosts, Burton said:
"I had a good time." (HA)

About how his father Larry lived on Maui for 3 years when he was in his early 20s, Burton said:
"He loved to surf there." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment