Thursday, September 27, 2007

Random Warrior Quotes from the local papers

About how they have been practicing silent counts and hand motions because they expect it to be hard to hear at Idaho, JJ said:
"Even if they have 10,000 people in there, the noise echoes and it can be hard to hear." (HA)


About how their offense can go to silent counts, Colt said:
"I know we can handle it. If it gets loud, we can make those adjustments. It's part of the game. You have to do it." (HA)

HA Note: "Jones will signal in a play as well as the snap count. Taking a cue from Brennan, the offensive linemen will silently count to the designated number."


About using a silent count, center John Estes said:
"It's all about the timing. I snap it when it's a certain time. It's a certain rhythm we use." (HA)


About their work on silent counts, Estes said:
"Sometimes I'd snap it faster than I should. But we worked on it, and our timing is better." (HA)


About going on silent counts, LG Hercules Satele said:
"It's a matter of trust. You have to trust the center will snap the ball on time. This is a precaution in case in gets loud. But we're ready." (HA)


Asked what was most important on silent counts (sneaking a peek at the C, good timing with teammates, or internal rhythm), Hercules said:
"All of the above. You have to have a sixth sense and you have to trust the ball will be snapped on that count." (HSB)


About how they used silent counts last year at Alabama and 3 weeks ago at La Tech, Colt said:
"It could be very loud at Idaho, so we have to make sure we have that package ready. We used it a lot at LaTech, especially in the second half. Everyone has to be on the same page and you can't anticipate." (HSB)


HA Note: "Brennan said he "tweaked" his sore right ankle near the end of yesterday's practice. But he said the condition is not "serious," and that he will resume practicing today."


About how his ankle will not make him miss the Idaho game, Colt said:
"No doubt, I'm starting." (HA)


Colt said that his right ankle is sore after practices:
"which isn't anything serious or out of the ordinary." (HA)


About his ankle, Colt said:
"There's always going to be pain in football. You have to get used to it. But hopefully I'll keep resting it and doing everything right (in treatment sessions) and by Saturday it'll be close to 100 percent as it needs to be." (HA)


About how the preventative methods (heavily wrapping his ankle during practices and wearing an ankle brace or medical boot when not practicing) can be worse than the actual ankle injury, Colt said:
"I mean, to be honest, you have to understand that all of the protective stuff I put on — all of the tape — can irritate it more than the actual ankle itself. You have to have to that on there for protection. Sometimes when you see me out there irritated, it's more so because of the tape job or how the ankle brace is sitting on me than actually how my ankle legitimately feels. If I were to run around here without an ankle brace, you wouldn't think I was hurt at all." (HA)


About why he needs the taping for practice and the ankle brace outside of practice, Colt said that without the precautions:
"the probability of turning (the ankle) is really high." (HA)


About Mouton's promise to him the night before the CSU game to get a TD, Colt said:
"I said, 'I probably won't be able to play today,' and he told me, 'I got you.' " (HA)


About his kickoff return for a TD, Mouton said:
"I had to do it. I'm a man of my word." (HA)


About how he told Mouton at halftime that he wouldn't get many more chances to return kickoffs, Colt said:
"The way our defense was playing, I knew he wouldn't get many chances. I told him right before halftime, 'You've got the second-half kickoff to go.' He said, 'I've got that.' When we came out at halftime, I walked out late. I didn't get a chance to talk to him before he went out on the field." (HA)


About how Mouton came to talk to him after opening the 2nd half with his kickoff return TD, Colt said:
"He ran over to me and said, 'That was for you.' That was cool." (HA)


About how he and Lane each have a kickoff return for a TD, Mouton said:
"We're discussing who's going to bring the next one." (HA)


About how kickoff teams now have to decide if they want to kick to Mouton or him, Lane said:
"I was joking with him. I said we have to break this tie. It's a great battle. Now the other team has to decide who to kick it to. Mouton is a good guy. I was just as happy for Mouton running his back as I was when I ran mine back. I was excited to see him get one." (HA)


About making the travel roster this time but not for the 12-day trip, Spenser Smith said:
"I traveled all of the time last year, and took it for granted. Not traveling last trip made me work hard. I wanted to do my best. I wanted to impress the coaches. It feels good to travel with the team." (HA)


About how JJ noticed that he tried to stick too closely with the offensive play on his runs, LWJ said:
"He told me to just run wild. If I see something else, hit it as hard as possible and get upfield." (HSB)


About getting settled in at RB, which he hasn't played since high school 3 years ago, LWJ said:
"Now I'm seeing stuff that I haven't seen since high school. I'm about to hit it now since Coach said it." (HSB)


About how he's improving at RB, which he hasn't played since Damien a couple of year ago, Pilares said:
"It's more instinctive now. I'm going out there and reacting to what is happening and not really thinking as much." (HSB)


About how they aren't going to "open any champagne bottles" over not giving up a sack last week, OL coach Dennis McKnight said:
"It's just all about experience. The more you play the better you get." (HSB)


About RT Keoni Steinhoff, who was named offensive player of the game vs. CSU, McKnight said:
"He's physical and stays with the opponent really good." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment