Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Feature article on Mike Washington

About how he isn't happy in Hawaii because he isn't getting much playing time, Mike Washington said:
"Hawaii's cool. I mean, you got the beaches. Of course, you got the hula girls. You got Waikiki and everything. But it's not entirely paradise to me in my eyes because paradise to me is football and doing what I came down here to do in the first place." (Pittsburg Post-Gazette)

PPG: "Hawaii coach June Junes inserted Washington to return a punt in the third quarter, and Washington responded by returning it 80 yards for his first collegiate touchdown. The highlight-reel run was similar to those of Santana Moss and Dante Hall, two diminutive NFL receivers after whom Washington (5-7, 165) said he patterns his game."


About running the punt back for a TD when he got his chance, Washington said:
"When I got an opportunity, I just had to let coach Jones and everybody else know what's up. I'm like: You've got to look at my highlight tape or something. Everybody back home wants to know what I do down here. I just got the opportunity and I just did what I do." (PPG)

PPG Note: "Washington's lack of playing time has been due in part to Hawaii's depth at the wide receiver position. The Warriors boast three players who have at one time caught at least 70 passes in a season, and all three are considered NFL prospects. Washington serves as the backup to junior slot receiver Davone Bess, a two-time All-Western Athletic Conference selection who hauled in 96 catches and 15 touchdowns last season.

Speed is and always has been Washington's greatest athletic attribute. Since helping Aliquippa win the PIAA Class AA 400-meter relay his senior year, Washington has become even faster. He said he was timed at a blazing 4.28 in the 40 this past spring."


About his speed, Washington said:
"I'm not going to say I'm the fastest person on the team, because you know how people get big chests about it. But I will tell you this ... I am always three times as fast as I need to be." (PPG)


Praising Colt, Washington said:
"Colt is one of the best quarterbacks I've ever played with. He's got the right touch, the right speed, the right velocity, everything. He's just great. He deserved the Heisman last year. Let's just hope he gets it this year." (PPG)

PPG Note: "Washington said the move from Aliquippa to Hawaii was much more than a simple change of scenery, calling it "super culture shock," but said he was able to get through it by regularly talking with his grandparents and reading the Bible."


About how Washington worked out wife his old high school team over the summer, his former coach Mike Zmijanac said:
"He has a sense of purpose all the time. He's a guy who has been successful because he works hard. It didn't just happen for him. That's the thing Mike should really be proud of. He made it happen." (PPG)

No comments:

Post a Comment