Monday, August 27, 2007

Quotes about Le'Marcus Gibson

About how he could make their road trip roster and play in front of family and friends, Gibson said:
"I've been told that's a strong possibility." (HSB)

Note: From what I understand, Gibson could play in the UNC and La Tech games and STILL redshirt, so he could play in front of his family and friends, get some experience, and still redshirt.


About how Gibson is a smart player with a lot of talent, DB coach Rich Miano said:
"He got into Vanderbilt, which means he's smart. He's very conscientious and rarely comes back the next day and makes the same mistake if you correct him. Athletically, he reminds me of (former UH safety) Dee Miller, who was also from Mississippi." (HSB)


About how he noticed one of UH's starting safeties was a senior when he played the NCAA Football 2007 football game last year and then got interested in UH, Gibson said:
"I sent them a highlight tape, almost as a joke. I never thought I'd hear from them. Then I got a call." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Warriors defensive line coach Jeff Reinebold was relentless, while Gibson's home-state schools were lukewarm at best -- despite Gibson's 142 tackles last year at Harrison High School in Gulfport. Gibson had also played high school ball in Starkville, and done well."


About how he didn't receive recruiting attention from Mississippi State, Gibson said:
"But Mississippi State doesn't recruit Starkville. They don't recruit in their own backyard." (HSB)

HSB Note: "The Bulldogs, as well as Ole Miss, told the 6-foot, 195-pound Gibson to wait it out, that maybe something would become available. They also suggested he go to a junior college and maybe they'd scholarship him in two years. Gibson, a full academic qualifier, didn't find that choice appealing. He did get offers from Vanderbilt and Tulsa, but chose Hawaii."


About being at UH, Gibson said:
"I never thought I'd be here, but I'm glad I came." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Gibson has drawn rave reviews all the way up the coaching chain, so that helps, too. The safety position is crowded, but Gibson has shown enough aptitude to play this season as a true freshman. He's also on the No. 2 kickoff and kickoff-return teams and will likely see a good share of playing time Saturday as the No. 23 Warriors open against Northern Colorado."


About how he'd prefer to have limited playing time over redshirting, Gibson said:
"I was pretty confident coming in. They told me there was an open spot, so that was good motivation. I'd rather play a little here and there than redshirt. I'm not ready to sit down yet. If I have to, I'll take it as a good team member and learn the most I can." (HSB)


Asked what he needs to improve on, Gibson said:
"Alignment and assignment. Do that, and play fast and play hard." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment