Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mike Edwards is paying his living expenses to be in Hawaii early to meet the rest of the Warriors

About paying for his living expenses since he arrived in Hawaii Sunday night since he cannot get scholarship money until training camp starts, Mike Edwards said:
"It was a sacrifice I wanted to make for the team. I wanted to get out here and get an early start." (HSA)


About passing the online class that will enable him to transfer to UH, with the grade being recorded at the end of this month, Edwards said:
"I could have stayed home (in Ohio), and trained with the guys I've been working with. We got in some great work. But I wanted to get in early. I wanted to meet the other players. I didn't want to be the new face to everybody in camp." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Two years ago, Edwards was widely known as a four-star cornerback from Ohio's powerful Glenville High. He signed with Tennessee in February 2009, and played eight games as a true freshman that year. But in November 2009, he and two other teammates were arrested for attempted robbery in which a pellet gun was shown. They were dismissed from the team. Because Edwards did not handle the weapon, he received a two-year probation, which eventually was shortened. He is no longer on probation."


About being arrested for attempted robbery, Edwards said:
"I was never a bad kid. I was never in any trouble in my life until that situation. It was me being in the wrong place at the wrong time. ... Those two guys were my best friends on the Tennessee team. We were young. We all played as freshmen. ... I acted without thinking about the consequences. I made a mistake. That's part of growing up. That's part of making great decisions at all times, not taking an hour off. An hour can change your life forever. That's one of those situations that changed my life. I hope it can make me a better person. That's what I want to show in Hawaii." (HSA)


About his past achievements, Edwards said:
"I didn't want all of that to go to waste. I knew if I had another opportunity, I would take advantage of it." (HSA)


About how Tony Tuioti (who met with Edwards' family, friends and teammates) and Mack (who approved a scholarship offer to Edwards) welcomed him to UH, Edwards said:
"They made me feel I was part of the family. This is a great place to make the most of a second opportunity. Everybody kept asking me when I would go back on the field and what school I would go to. It was tough. I kept my eyes on the prize. I worked hard in school. Now I'm here. The sky's the limit." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110719_edwards_gets_a_jump_on_uh_football_career.html

No comments:

Post a Comment