Sunday, May 1, 2011

Portland Tribune feature on Alex Green

PT = Portland Tribune


About getting a phone call from Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson with 4 minutes left on the clock for the #96 pick, Alex Green said:
"They immediately called me. He asked, 'How is your day going?' and I said 'Good' and then he said, 'It's about to get better.' And I thanked him for the opportunity. It was definitely a surprise." (PT)


HSA Note: "The one twist in this whole scenario: He had never visited or officially spoken to the Packers organization as a real possibility. He had reason to believe that the New England Patriots were going to call his name, because Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien flew to Portland to see him work out at Cleveland High on Wednesday, the day before the draft began."


About how he thought he might be drafted by the Patriots and never visited of officially spoke to the Packers, Green said:
"I knew I had a slight chance of going in the third round, because the Patriots had a couple picks in the third round. But they selected a different running back (Stevan Ridley, LSU).  I found out later that the Packers head coach (Mike McCarthy) was at my pro day. And I had spoken to the running backs coach (Fontenot) at the combine." (PT)


Asked to describe the moment of being drafted and the anticipation leading up to it, Green said:
"Can't really describe how I feel. I want to thank the great Lord for the many blessings. (Also) my family for the courage, friends for the confidence and the great town of (Portland) for the support." (PT)


Asked how he handled things leading up to the draft, Green said:
"The NFL draft is nerve-racking. Not knowing what team or city you will end up in. It's all been a great experience. I was just trying to play it cool and not let it get to me too bad. My mom was more nervous than I was." (PT)


About how he just realized how the lockout affects him now, Green said:
"Hadn't thought about it much at first. But now that I'm a part of the league and everything, it's a pretty big distraction. We can't do what we love until something is worked out. I'm just ready to get to work." (PT)


Asked what Packer fans should expect from him, Green said:
"I'm coming in confident, but with a lot of respect. I need to learn the ropes and learn from these guys (veteran teammates). And once I get my chance I'm going to lead by example on the field." (PT)


About how he'll actually participate in the first NFL game he sees live, Green said:
"I've never seen a live NFL game. The first one I see I'll be playing in." (PT)

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=130424064782677200

No comments:

Post a Comment