Friday, April 15, 2011

Feature article on Defensive Coordinator Dave Aranda

About how he still watches the game film of the second half of the Hawaii Bowl "a lot", Dave Aranda said:
"I think that Tulsa game was our season. We played as well as we've played in the first half. We played tough and responsible. ... In the second half, busts. That happens. But the bad thing was we let one bust affect the next series." (HSA)


About how their defense will be motivated for the Hawaii Bowl, Aranda said:
"The biggest issue with me is that we've got guys motivated, who play hard and have a consolidated mission." (HSA)


About how he "was a poor student" in Redlands, CA, Aranda said:
"I never opened a book. I just played sports and did other things, I guess." (HSA)


Asked if he had fights outside of the ring in addition to his boxing matches growing up, Aranda said:
"Yes, there were some." (HSA)


HSA Note: "His dream was Navy enlistment. Otherwise set for boot camp, Aranda failed a physical because of football injuries."


About how majoring in philosophy in college and especially enjoying books by Ralph Waldo Emerson, Aranda said:
"A very holistic view, but also some common sense. I read Sartre and some others, (but) I read Emerson for fun. It always spoke to me." (HSA)


About how he gave up boxing by the time he entered college, Aranda said:
"I wasn't very good. Big head and small hands." (HSA)


About how he hopes to improve as a motivator this season, Aranda said:
"It's not about what you're asking that kid to do. It's about how you're asking." (HSA)


About how he hopes that his defense is consistent and resilient, Aranda said:
"I'll put it back to boxing. If we ever got hit, we bled. When you bleed, there's a chance the fight gets called. We don't want to bleed." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/furtherreview/20110415_Arandas_genius_a_blend__of_Emerson_and_Ali.html

No comments:

Post a Comment