Saturday, April 30, 2011

Alex Green's dream came true when the Green Bay Packers drafted him in the 3rd round

About how he realized when he was 6 that he wanted to be a football player, Alex Green said:
"I always wanted to be a football player. That was my only dream. When I first got my football cleats, I slept with them on. I always had a football in my hand. That was my dream. Now it's my job. You can't beat that." (HSA)



About receiving a call from the Green Bay Packers midway through the third round, Alex Green was asked by the Packers:
"Are you having a good day?" (HSA)


After saying "Yes", the Packers told him:
"It's about to get better." (HSA)


HSA Note: "That was when Green learned he would soon be selected. Green was so stunned he forgot to call his mother, Phyllis Smith, who was hosting a small gathering at the family home."


Phyllis Smith said that they were about to stop watching the draft when her son Alex's name:
"popped up on the (TV) screen. ... We yelled so much, I think we woke up the entire neighborhood." (HSA)


About how he embraced his 2-year-old daughter Harlym (who turns 3 in June) when he was drafted, Green (who also has a 6-month-old son Kingston) said:
"That was my goal from Day 1, when I went to a junior college. I wanted to take care of my family. They made a lot of sacrifices for me. I thought the best way to do it was to play football. Football is like a business. I'm grateful for the career." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Green was the draft's 96th selection. Last year's 96th pick — cornerback Brandon Ghee, by the Cincinnati Bengals — signed a four-year contract, which included a signing bonus of $648,000. In the standard NFL contract, only the signing bonus is guaranteed. The Packers did not have a third-round pick in 2010."


About Green being drafted, Mack said:
"I'm just really excited for Alex.  All of the work he's done, both on the field and off it, has paid off. It's a credit to Alex and Brian (Smith, UH's running backs coach). Now he gets to play for the world champions." (HSA)


Praising Green during the ESPN2 draft telecast, draft analyst Todd McShay pointed out Green's versatility:
"Look at him. He's 225 pounds, and he catches the ball like a wide receiver out of the backfield. ... That's big-time production. If he never starts, he still can help on third downs, and he can be a pretty good return man, as well." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Smith said her son pledged allegiance to the sport at an early age. When he was 6, he was allowed to compete with older players in a flag-football league. That trend continued in Pop Warner, when he gained early admission."


About how he likes Cheese, Green said:
"It's probably my favorite snack." (HSA)


About how her family will become Packers fans, Smith said:
"My husband is from Nebraska, so we have Cornhusker (hats) all around here. Now we're going to get cheeseheads." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110430_The_Green_zone.html

No comments:

Post a Comment