Friday, February 18, 2011

New special teams coordinator Coach Tomey says UH is the only school he would have applied to coach at

About how Coach Tomey is a perfectionist, which makes him ideal for the special teams coordinator position, Mack said:
"He's a perfectionist, he's perfect for this position." (HSA)


About how his new job at UH starts today, Tomey said:
"This is kind of the full circle." (HSA)


Asked if he thought football would be out of his blood when he retired, Tomey said:
"not necessarily." (HSA)


About how Tomey was the favored candidate out of the 100 or so applicants, Mack said:
"He was the guy other guys had to knock out of the saddle." (HSA)


About having telephone interviews with 6 finalists, Mack said:
"He was clearly the one. I couldn't find a better person." (HSA)


About how Tomey has a job at UH for much longer than  his 1-year contract, Mack said:
"I'm planning on him coaching as long as he wants to coach. That's up to him." (HSA)


About how long he wiill coach, Tomey (who turns 73 in June) said:
I'm in it as long as I feel good. ... I know I'm feeling good. I know I'm healthy." (HSA)


HSA Note: He said he exercises daily. He runs and lifts weights. He recently picked up stand-up paddling."


About how he would not have applied to work anywhere else, Tomey said:
"It had to be Hawaii."It had to be this job. In my mind, I think it's just a unique opportunity."


About how he doesn't want to be a head coach anymore, Tomey said:
"I've done that, 29 years worth, and I had a great time at three terrific schools. I don't want to spend the time it takes. I've got eight grandchildren. I need to take some time to see my grandkids, and be there for (wife) Nancy. Being a head coach just takes too much time." (HSA)


About how Tomey will assist him in his game-management strategy, Mack said:
"I can bounce things off of Dick. Shoot, he's been a head coach a heck of a lot longer than I have." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110218_Tomey_sees_a_unique_opportunity_with_Warriors.html

No comments:

Post a Comment