Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chad Owens chose the Toronto Argonauts over the New York Jets

TS = Toronto Sun


About signing an extension with Toronto that will take him through 2013, Chad Owens said:
"I'm excited to continue to be an Argonaut. My pro career has seen a lot of ups and downs over the years. Last year in Toronto was a huge up and, as a pro, you look for those types of seasons. When looking at the whole situation, I realized that in coach Jim Barker I had a coach and GM who not only cared about me but also cared about my family. This contract helps take care of my family but more than that, I get to re-join a special group of players who I feel are my team in a city I feel is my home. This team has become my extended family and I'm honoured to be a part of this group who love me unconditionally. I'm glad this process is over so I can focus on what needs to be done to bring the Grey Cup to Toronto." (TS)


About how he could have made more money if he had gone to the NFL, Owens said:
"Definitely. There's a potential of a whole lot more money when you are talking about the NFL and the potential to make more. But if they paid players the same money in the CFL as they did in the NFL, I would be back in Toronto anyway." (TS)


TS Note: "Owens reportedly will make upward of $125,000 a season with Toronto. The process, as Owens called it, involved a contract offer from the New York Jets, his agent, Richard Burnoski, told the Toronto Sun a couple of weeks ago. Part of what apparently scared Owens off was a potential work stoppage in the NFL."


Happy that they were able to sign Chad to an extension, Toronto head coach Jim Barker said:
"We felt Chad was a key piece to our team's future moving forward and I want to thank our player personnel director Mike Hagen for his work on this contract through the negotiation process. Chad was the outstanding special teams player in the league last year and we expect him to continue at that level of play. With a full season in our system under his belt and being a part of our training camp this year, we also expect Chad's contributions and productivity on offence to increase this year. As a player, Chad exhibits toughness and tenacity, with a superior work ethic. He is a true warrior and epitomizes the way we coach Toronto Argonauts to play the game." (TS)

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2011/02/08/17194186.html

1 comment:

  1. Chad is a special guy. I'm proud to see him stick with the team that gave him his chance to get back in the game.
    I have been watching him since his early UH days and always admired his play and work ethic.
    Steve H. from Honolulu

    ReplyDelete