Thursday, December 23, 2010

Warrior Quotes from the Star-Advertiser (12/23/10, Kainoa LaCount earned the starting LT spot, Mouse Davis is unsure if he'll coach next season)

Disputing what the UH Media Guide said about him, Kainoa LaCount said:
"I'm 6-7, not 6-6. Don't let the books fool you." (HSA)


About how LaCount earned a starting left tackle spot, Gordy Shaw said:
"He's ready to meet the challenge." (HSA)


HSA Note: "LaCount is part of the shakeup to the left side of the UH offense. Billy Ray Stutzmann will start at left wideout ahead of Rodney Bradley, and Brett Leonard will open at left guard in place of Brysen "Bula" Ginlack."


About how his Mom raised him and his brother Kahai by herself after his parents divorced when he was 2, LaCount said:
"My mom always stuck by me. She gave me good advice, whether I listened to it or not. She's a great woman. And she had to feed us. That was the hardest part." (HSA)


About how Kahai (a former UH player) was a big influence in his life, LaCount said:
"He was a big influence. I don't think I left his side until I was 10. It wasn't, 'Please, leave.' It was kicking me out because, 'You cruise with me too much.' " (HSA)


About how he suffered a broken toe while playing TE as a freshman at Kailua High School, LaCount said:
"That's when I moved to tackle, and I haven't moved since." (HSA)


About how he signed with Oregon State out of high school but ended up going to the College of the Canyons in California since he needed 50 more points on his SAT, where he got to spend time with his father who lived in California, LaCount said:
"I got close to the LaCount side of my family." (HSA)


HSA Note: "He signed with UH in February 2008, but then learned he did not have enough transferable credits to play that year. When he reported in August 2009, he weighed about 360 pounds, and the scholarship offer had lapsed. His mother paid for his tuition and school expenses during his UH career."


About how LaCount needed to lose 50 pounds and then learn the fundamentals needed for the OL, Shaw said:
"We had to peel about 50 pounds off of him. Then we had to get him fundamentally sound. He was used to being big and latching on to guys." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Last year, LaCount was moved to right tackle, where he had difficulty adjusting. This past summer, he was down to 320 pounds, and comfortable playing at either tackle position."


Praising LaCount, Mack said:
"I like his long arms, his attitude. He's really worked himself into shape. He has pro measurables. He works his tail off. He couldn't have gotten himself into that shape if he didn't work hard. I'm really proud of him. He's got everything going for him. I like the heck out of him." (HSA)


About how he plays with fury on the field even though he's easygoing off the field, LaCount laughed and said:
"I think bad thoughts. I guess it's hidden emotions. I let them out. It's fun to go out and hit people legally."


Unsure if he'll coach during the 2011 season, Mouse Davis said:
"We have to play it out and see. I don't have a timetable (for deciding). I'm enjoying myself. We're winning, and winning is important." (HSA)


About how they had their last full workout of the season yesterday and they will have their final walk-through today, Kamalu Umu said:
"It's sad. It didn't really hit me yet. I'm sure it will after the game." (HSA)


About how he's focused on the bowl game and not thinking about how this will end his UH career, Kealoha Pilares said:
"I'm not really into sad thoughts right now. We have a game to play." (HSA)


Todd Graham said that he thinks that UH has more talent than SMU had this season and that defending against UH's offense will:
"be a lot bigger challenge for us." (HSA)


About how UH's offense is even better than when he last faced UH in 2003 and 2004, Graham said:
"You can see the past they've had with the run-and-shoot, they haven't missed a beat. As a matter of fact they've even, I think, taken it to another level. I've prepared against it for a lot of years; doesn't make it any easier. I think it's one of the hardest offenses to defend." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101223_warriors_learn_today_whos_eligible_to_play.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101223_Perseverance_pays_off_as_LaCount_gets_first_start_for_Warriors.html

No comments:

Post a Comment