Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Warrior Quotes from the Star-Advertiser (12/22/10)

About how he's going to be aggressive as their punt returner in the Hawaii Bowl, Kealoha Pilares said:
"I'm not fair-catching anything." (HSA)


HSA Note: "The past three games, the Warriors have returned two of 21 punts for zero yards. Greg Salas, UH's leading receiver, was instructed to fair catch every punt.  Pilares was used as a punt returner against Idaho. He had two returns for 28 yards. But he suffered a strained hamstring while warming up at halftime. Salas was told he could be the punt returner if he promised not to attempt any returns."


Pilares said that returning punts:
"is another opportunity to make a big play. It's fun. It's an adrenaline rush. ... I know the guys will block for me. I have faith in them." (HSA)


About how he won't worry about injury since this is his final UH game, Pilares said:
"Why not take risks? That's what I'm going to do. We'll see what happens." (HSA)


About designing their rings, Mack said:
"I've been to a lot of bowls,. I know what a real ring looks like." (HSA)


About how the ring helps in recruiting, Mack said:
"It doesn't hurt recruiting when you have a championship ring on." (HSA)


About practicing as a starting offensive tackle over the past 2 weeks, Kainoa LaCount said:
"Just trying to give guys rest." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Brett Leonard and center Matagisila Lefiti have been rotating at left guard, a position usually played by Brysen "Bula" Ginlack."


About how Spencer Smith served as a mentor to freshman John Hardy-Tuilau while sitting out due to his fractured right forearm, Rich Miano said:
"I'll tell Spencer: 'Just watch John.'  Spencer has done a good job mentoring John all season long. I know John looks up to his work ethic." (HSA)


About how he was injured in their second game and when he came back 8 weeks later he only lasted one series against Boise State, Smith said:
But Smith injured his forearm in the second game. He didn't play again for another eight weeks, but lasted only one defensive series against Boise State.

"After that, I wasn't sure if I would be OK." (HSA)


About how he has limited himself to only 15 snaps in each of their last 3 games, Smith said:
"John has done such a great job all year. It's been his season. I don't want to take anything away from him. When my times come, I'll try to make the best of it." (HSA)


Appreciating the advice that Smith gives him, Hardy-Tuilau said:
"Spencer helps me a lot in games. He always looks at the plays to help me do better. He's like an extra coach." (HSA)


About how Hardy-Tuilau could play a variety of positions for them in the future, Dave Aranda said:
"He's an athletic player, and a smart player. He's able to decipher things quickly." (HSA)


About how he has focused mostly on power-clean lifts this season, the 5'11", 170-pound Hardy-Tuilau said:
"It's all about being physical in the weight room." (HSA)


About how Hardy-Tuilau's intelligence makes him a great player, Miano said:
"John is tough, fast, quick and athletic. If he had only those things but wasn't smart, he'd be a good player, and we'd be glad to have him. But he is very smart, and that's what makes him a great player. The ability to get to the next level depends on how smart you are, and he's very smart." (HSA)


Spencer Smith said that if the Hawaii Bowl is his last football game:
"my whole experience in Hawaii has been awesome. I'm doing some of the things a lot of people won't ever do in their lifetime. I've been blessed. Everything happens for a reason. Maybe my arm breaking will take me to better things than if it didn't break." (HSA)


About how Damaris Johnson, their leading receiver/returner, is similar to Chad Owens (who had 253 all-purpose yards and 3 TDs to beat Tulsa when Graham was Tulsa's defensive coordinator), Todd Graham said:
"They're real simila. Big-play guys, guys that catch the ball, yards after catch, great quickness and acceleration. ... It's big time to have a guy like that." (HSA)


About Johnson, who was named to a second-team AP All-American this year, Graham said:
"He's been special in so many ways. He is no question our most valuable player." (HSA)


HSA Note: "This season Johnson, Conference USA's special teams player of the year, averages 27.4 yards on kickoff returns, 12.5 on punt returns and is Tulsa's top receiver and second-leading rusher. The junior enters Friday's matchup with Hawaii with 7,470 career yards, rising to fourth on the NCAA all-purpose yardage list and 294 yards away from the record."


About how Tulsa gave him a chance to play early while recruiters from other teams might have been scared off by his 5'8" listed height, Johnson said:
"I knew coming in they would let me do different things with the ball and give me a chance to come in and play early." (HSA)


About how they use Johnson everywhere, Graham said:
"He lines up at quarterback, at running back, at receiver, returns kicks and punts. He does everything except play defense and he could probably do that. We knew he was special. From the time he's walked onto our practice field he's been spectacular." (HSA)


About his punt return for a 59-yard TD against Notre Dame when they were down 27-18 in the 3rd quarter, Johnson said:
"It was a real spark in the game. Just gave guys more confidence. It was just a play that needed to be made and I'm happy I was that person to make that play." (HSA)


Praising his blockers for making his success possible, Johnson said:
"Those guys want me to score touchdowns more than I want to score touchdowns. That helps me a lot that they're going out there excited to block for me. I love that a lot." (HSA)


Considering his height an advantage, Johnson said:
"Since I'm small I can get in and out of places and don't take big hits every time." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101222_Mentor_An_experienced_person_in_a_company_college_or_school_who_trains_and_counsels_new_employees_or_students_See_Smith_Spencer.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101222_This_time_Tulsa_comes_armed_with_its_own_Chad_Owens_weapon.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101222_Pilares_ready_for_risk-taking_returns.html

No comments:

Post a Comment