Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Greg Salas was named to the AP All-American Third Team

About how he didn't have time to celebrate when his father called to tell him that he was named to the AP All-America Third team yesterday, Greg Salas said:
"I'm working on a paper." (HSA)


HSA Note: "This is UH's final-exam week, and Salas has been working to complete projects necessary for a bachelor's degree. He will participate in Saturday's graduation ceremony."


Proud that his son is graduating on Saturday, Greg's father Mark Salas said:
"That's what makes me the proudest. He gets to graduate. He was looking forward to that this year." (HSA)


About how Salas has earned his All-America honor and has done everything they ask athletes to do, Rolo said:
"He's worked hard to get the All-America honor. He never got into any trouble. He's graduating. Talk about somebody who has gone through college as a student-athlete the right way. I don't know what else you can ask for." (HSA)


About how Greg played all types of sports growing up but loved football best, Mark Salas said:
"He played baseball, basketball, roller-bladed. It wasn't just football. But football was something he loved the most." (HSA)


About how they realized early on that Greg was a gifted athlete, Mark Salas laughed and said:
"I don't know what side of the family that came from. I think we got somebody else's kid. He's special. He's a kid who always did amazing things." (HSA)


About how Greg is a great competitor, Rolo said:
"The thing that sets him apart is his competitiveness, and his desire to win. He likes to have fun, but once he steps inside the lines, he's very focused on winning and making the play. He yearns to be the guy who makes the play." (HSA)


About how he tried to model his play after Charles Woodson, who he was a fan of after attending the Rose Bowl where Woodson starred on both offense and defense, Salas said:
"I never thought about college when I was first trying out (for Pop Warner)." (HSA)


About how Greg formed close friendships that has stayed strong, Mark Salas said:
"His childhood friends are still his friends. They'll always be his friends." (HSA)


About his high school teammate Joey Lipp that signed with UH when he did in 2006, Salas said:
"I've known him since second or third grade. We had X-Men cards. We played around at recess. We went over to his house to swim. He had a big swimming pool with a diving board." (HSA)


HSA Note: "At UH, they formed a core group of friends -- safety Spencer Smith, slotbacks Kealoha Pilares and Rick Taylor, defensive back Leroy Lutu Jr., and former Warriors Matt Mielke and Travis Smith."


About how he stays loyal to his core group of friends, Salas said:
"I'm a loyal friend -- to the friends back home and the friends I've met out here. If we're not at my apartment, we're at Kealoha's or Spencer's house, watching TV or playing video games or writing papers." (HSA)


About how UH appealed to him on his recruiting trip, Salas said:
"My father wanted me to go away and experience something as different as possible. He told me: 'You're not going to have many opportunities like this for free.' I've had a great time out here.  And to get (an All-America honor), to be thought of as one of the best players in the country, I'm humbled and honored. I'm thankful to my teammates, coaches, family and friends. A lot of people have contributed to my success, and helped me become the man I am today." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101215_Greg_Salas_All-American.html

No comments:

Post a Comment