Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Greg Salas named a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award

HSA Note: "Greg Salas and family friend Jeanne Barbosa then spent hours splicing and editing to create a highlight tape that would be sent to several Division I-A and I-AA football programs across the country in the fall of 2005. One of the copies ended up with Ron Lee, who was the Warriors' receivers coach under head coach June Jones at the time. The copy might have remained obscured among hundreds of others, if it weren't for Barbosa's persistence."


About how Jeanne Barbosa kept calling him to look at Greg Salas' highlight tape, Ron Lee said:
"She kept calling. I looked at the tape. Gosh, he was athletic." (HSA)


About how he was impressed with what he saw in Salas on the tape, Lee said:
"He had the natural ability to make catches, just like Davone (Bess)." (HSA)


About how the tape was mostly about Salas playing CB, Lee said:
"He was making some spectacular plays on defense." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Lee showed the video to Jones, who agreed that Salas had the potential to play receiver."


About how UH brought him in for a recruiting visit, Salas said:
"Jeanne called me, and said, 'His name is Ron, and Hawaii wants to trip you.'" (HSA)


About how his parents paid their own way to accompany him during the recruiting trip, Salas said:
"My parents were with me through all of the steps." (HSA)


About how JJ offered him a scholarship at the end of his recruiting trip, Salas said:
"He was great about the whole thing. He stressed I should take more visits (to other schools)." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Salas visited New Mexico, but, soon after, turned down other offers, including one from Utah, to commit to UH."


About how Salas had a great season last year (106 receptions for 1,590 yards and 8 TDs), Nick Rolovich said:
"He had a great year last year. We talked about him becoming a complete player, a team leader. He took that challenge. He had a great offseason. He has a lot of desire. He catches everything. I hope he finishes the year strong." (HSA)


About Salas being named one of 10 semifinalists for the Biletnikoff Award, Rolo said:
"That's not a surprise. He's one of the best. That shouldn't be big news." (HSA)


Noting that Biletnikoff had a long career with the Oakland Raiders, Salas said:
"I've been a Raider fan my whole life. My favorite player (Charles Woodson) ended up going to the Raiders." (HSA)


About how football has been important in his life, Salas said:
"I've been watching it ever since I can remember. I've been playing it since I was old enough to play." (HSA)


About how people in Hawaii keep thinking that he grew up in Hawaii, Salas said:
"They ask me, 'What high school did you go to.' They think I'm local." (HSA)


About how he loves local food, Salas said:
"I love garlic chicken, chicken katsu, mac salad." (HSA)


About rice, Salas said:
"If (the rice is) not sticky, I don't want to eat it." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101116_UH_cant_be_anything_but_Salasfied.html

No comments:

Post a Comment