Friday, October 8, 2010

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are trying to figure out how to stop Chad Owens after he had 300 returns yards against them last week

RLP = Regina Leader-Post


About Chad Owens getting 300 return yards against them last week, Roughriders special-teams player Kye Stewart said:
"It was a bit of a setback. We didn't put our defence in such a good position . . . He had a pretty good game. We saw some things (on the video) that we have to get better at. He's a good returner and they do a good job blocking for him. We'll change it this week." (RLP)


RLP Note: "Owens, who had 167 yards on six kickoffs and 133 on six punts against the Roughriders, enters today's game as the CFL leader in punt return yards (759 on 60 attempts) and kickoff return yards (924 on 41 tries). He's also third in the league in yards on missed field-goal returns (228 on three attempts)."


About how his team has been successful with their return game, Chad Owens said:
"For the most part, we've been pretty successful all year in the return game. Last week was a pretty good day for us field position-wise, but we want to ultimately take one of those all the way. That's what we're working toward every week." (RLP)


Blaming himself for their loss last week because he didn't score a TD on a return, Owens said:
"(One return TD) would have made a difference. It's a huge momentum shifter for your team and it's a huge nailbiter for the other team. It's like, 'Dang, there he goes again,' and it just takes the wind out of their sails . . . That's just how I am: I want to score every play. When you go for 300 yards and you don't have any touchdowns and you lose, it's hard to deal with that. I'd take away 200 yards and have one of those returns for a touchdown if it'd be the difference in us winning." (RLP)


About how they were fortunate to "only" give up 300 yards to Owens and prevent him from scoring a TD, Roughriders special-teams coordinator Jim Daley said:
"It was a quiet 300 — and thank God it was. He can break a punt return or a kickoff return every time he touches the ball. He's that big of a threat . . . We were fortunate not to give up a major." (RLP)


About how his troubled situation with Montreal over the past year doesn't affect his success with Toronto this season, Owens said:
"I have no feeling of trying to get some kind of redemption or 'Look at what you guys messed up on.'  It's just I believe I can be successful no matter where I go. Every player has to have that type of confidence or else you're not going to be successful as a player. That was my mindset coming here: It's a legit opportunity for me to do what I do." (RLP)


About trying to "leave a legacy out here", but his team has to win more games for him to have a successful season, Owens said:
"I know I'm having a good season, but we're 6-and-7. One man doesn't make a whole team. If we're 10-and-3, I'd feel much better even if I'm not having that successful of a season. For me, I'm confident, I believe in what I can do on the field and every week, I try to make that my best game." (RLP)


http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Roughriders+focus+stopping+Argos+Chad+Owens/3646622/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment