Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mack asks the WAC for a clarification on the lack of penalty on the hit to Bryant Moniz

HSA Note: "Moniz said he did not suffer a concussion when he was hit by Southern California linebacker Michael Morgan, although he was not medicallly cleared to return to the game. Moniz also was held out of yesterday's 1-hour practice in preparation for Saturday's road game against Army. McMackin said he made a formal request for the WAC, of which UH is a member, to review that play, as well as a few others he felt needed "clarification." The WAC assigned the officiating crew for the nationally televised game."


About how he feels that Moniz was hit on the helmet when scrambling toward the end zone, Mack said:
"No doubt about that. I saw it in person. I saw it on the (scoreboard monitor). That's what I believe. ... When somebody gets knocked down like that, then obviously somebody hit him somewhere." (HSA)


Asked if the hit on him was a clean one, Moniz said:
"It was just a hit. It's football. Clean hit. Dirty hit. He was just trying to tackle me. That's all. It wasn't whether it was clean or not. He got his job done." (HSA)


About why he is asking for clarification on the hit, Mack said:
"I don't want to get anybody in trouble. The game is over. Morgan is a good football player. I don't think he did it on purpose. I just want to get a clarification from the officials' standpoint. I don't want him to miss any games. I'm not doing it for that. That game is so far behind me." (HSA)


HSA Note: "WAC commissioner Karl Benson said Jim Blackwood, the league's supervisor of officials, reviews every play of every game involving a WAC team "regardless if UH requested a review or not." "


WAC commissioner Karl Benson said that Blackwood will review videos of the hit on Moniz and:
"at some point in time, there will be a response whether it was an unsportsmanlike play or not." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Because it was a nonconference game, Benson said, the "WAC has no jurisdiction over USC." "


About asking for clarification on what seemed like TDs for Salas and Bradley in the game, Mack said:
"We want a clarification so we can do it right and understand. Being an official is a tough job. We understand that." (HSA)


About how he says that he can play against Army and he did not experience nausea, dizziness, nor headaches, Moniz said:
"I watched (video of the hit) a lot of times. I thought it was funny. I thought, 'Oh, my God, I got laid out. I thought everybody across the nation saw that. 'Oh, you got laid out.'" (HSA)


About how Bryant Moniz did not return to the USC game due to a head injury but he did not have a concussion, Mack said:
"I wouldn't say he has a concussion." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100905_mcmackin_files_clarification_of_hit_to_moniz.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/columnists/furtherreview/20100905_uh_is_being_cautious_talking_about_monizs_head_injury.html

No comments:

Post a Comment