Saturday, August 14, 2010

Quotes from the Star-Advertiser (Liko Satele awarded a scholarship, kicker competition close)

About how he feels that he's competing with himself and no freshman kicker Tyler Hadden, even though Hadden was rated the #10 college-bound kicker in the nation, Scott Enos said
"I just gotta compete with myself. Ultimately, I'm the one who has to put it through the uprights. Just trying to be more consistent." (HSA)



About his competition with senior Scott Enos, Hadden (who is now injured and cannot kick in practices now) said:
"I really have nothing to lose. Scott's a senior, but I came in to compete. I'm just kind of waiting ... now's time for competition, so it's kind of hard (to watch from the side)." (HSA)


About their competition at kicker, special teams coach Chris Tormey said:
"You always want to have competition. (We'll name a guy) as soon as possible, but we're not in a hurry to make a decision. The best guy's gonna play." (HSA)


About how it is critical that their kickers get the ball off quickly for FGs and PATs, Tormey said:
"It's not about how many you make. Can you get the ball off quickly? Tyler's really sound fundamentally ... Scott's a lot more comfortable in that regard (than he was)." (HSA)


HSA Note: "The incumbent Enos estimated his average time is 1.25 seconds this fall, down from between 1.3 and 1.5 seconds last year. Punter Alex Dunnachie vouched for that."


About how he has been kicking the ball quicker this year, Enos said:
"That's a main focus, getting it off on time." (HSA)


About how the larger crowds at Aloha Stadium and hostile road environments were different than what he had a Sierra JC, Enos said:
"It was a big change. But as a kicker you can't worry about what's going on." (HSA)



About how his mother Lee Ann Satele knew that he was awarded a football scholarship before he could call her with the news, Liko Satele said:
"She knew before I knew." (HSA)


About how she keeps track of what is happening with her kids, Lee Ann said:
"We have our saying: 'You can't go far before I find out what you're doing.'" (HSA)


About how Liko was a good choice to award a scholarship to, Mack said:
"Here's a kid who went to Lambuth (University in Jackson, Tenn.), then came back because he missed Hawaii. He's really worked his way up from the bottom. I couldn't be happier. If we have a guy on our team who is good enough to help us win, then he should be on scholarship. He deserved it." (HSA)


About how Liko has worked hard and is now the #1 left DE in camp, Vaughn Meatoga said:
"He's worked so hard. He's one of those guys who gets better and better. It's all due to his hard work. He's one of the hardest-working guys out here. When I heard he got (the scholarship), it gave me chicken skin." (HSA)


Happy that he can eat at the training table after practice now, Liko said:
"I can eat training table after practice. I don't have to go lift weights to get (a protein drink) to eat." (HSA)A


About how he needed to earn 18 credits this summer to be eligible to play this seasno, Kamalu Umu (#1 right DE) said:
"There was plenty of pressure." (HSA)


About how he only has a little more than 2 hours for studying each day due to practices, weight training, meetings, and lights-out curfew, Umu said:
"It's tough because you only have so much time. During the free time, you'd rather relax than do homework. But you have to do what you have to do." (HSA)


About how he has recovered from his surgery to repair a slightly torn meniscus in his right knee, Lametrius Davis said:
"I've been running on it all summer. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with it." (HSA)


About how he bulked up to about 200 pounds and needs a new jersey, Davis said:
"I outgrew my jersey. I needed a bigger jersey." (HSA)



About how walk-on safety Darryl McBride is in the rotation for the DBs and is a key member of 4 special teams, Mack said:
"He's a hitter." (HSA)


About Mack saying that he is a hitter, McBride said:
"That's my game." (HSA)


About how he gets motivation from not having a scholarship at UH, McBride said:
"Not being on scholarship is telling me to work harder. Maybe one day I get one, maybe one day I don't. But I'm pushing myself. I've earned everything my whole life. I'll work hard for this team. I want to contribute. If it means scout team, trying to make the others better, I'll do that." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100814_Kicker_job_up_for_grabs.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100814_Sateles_hard_work_pays_off_with_scholarship.html

No comments:

Post a Comment