Thursday, July 8, 2010

Travis LaBoy gave pass rushing tips to the Warriors at yesterday's practice

About how Travis LaBoy gave UH's pass rushers tips on spin moves during their unsupervised workout yesterday, DE Kamalu Umu said:
"He taught me his move." (HSA)


Umu said that the move involves extending the left arm forward and, when the OT tries to counter that:
"your hips automatically turn and you're around the corner." (HSA)


About how he used the spin move during their 11-on-11 scrimmage yesterday, Umu said:
"It worked. That's a move I have to work on and try to make my No. 1 move. It's nothing fancy, but it works. It's a privilege for a guy like that to teach us his move. He's a big help." (HSA)


About helping the Warriors, LaBoy said:
"Everybody has a little thing to work on. I give them advice. Nothing special. There's no secret to it." (HSA)


HSA Note: "LaBoy is here on a vacation that ends today. He has been working out daily at UH in preparation for the start of the 49ers' training camp in three weeks. After observing the players-only practice, he decided to offer some advice."


Appreciating the advice that LaBoy gave, Umu said:
"He's been through a lot. Having him talk to us means a lot." (HSA)


About how he emphasized that they have to always be focused, even when doing basic drills in practice, LaBoy said:
"If you're not aware in practice, you're not going to be aware in the game. If you're not aware in the game, you might get your head knocked off. It's always good to know what's going n." (HSA)


HSA Note: "The Tennessee Titans drafted LaBoy in the second round in 2004. After four seasons with the Titans, he left as a free agent, signing a five-year, $22-million contract with the Arizona Cardinals in 2008. He had four sacks in the first four games of the 2008 season, then struggled thereafter, while suffering from torn biceps that eventually required surgery. In March 2009, he was released by the Cardinals. After that, he suffered a foot injury that kept him from playing in 2009."


About the Cardinals' decision to cut him, LaBoy said:
"It's all business. It was a humbling experience. In the end, it was the best thing for me. San Francisco is where I wanted to be from the get-go. This was an avenue for me to get there." (HSA)


About how he grew up as a 49ers fan and signed a 1-year contract worth $1.6 million with them, LaBoy said:
"It's like a second homecoming." (HSA)


LaBoy said that sitting out the 2009 season:
"was hard, but it was good, too. It allowed my body to heal up." (HSA)


About how he never doubted that he would play again in the NFL, LaBoy said:
"I didn't really care what people thought. It was more about what I thought. Whether people thought I could make a comeback or not, it didn't affect me at all. I didn't take the time to hear what other people said." (HSA)


About how he received a few offers earlier in the year, LaBoy said:
"I needed to find a home, and I think I found it in San Francisco. I had a lot of options. But I wanted to be in San Francisco since I was a rookie. I took the opportunity to go there when I had it." (HSA)


HSA Note: "LaBoy is married to the former Nohea Tano, who played volleyball for the Rainbow Wahine. They run a foundation to assist children with autism."


Happy with his life, LaBoy said:
"Life's good. I can't complain, I've been very blessed. I hang out with my family and my kids. That's the most awesome time." (HSA)


About how he hasn't lost his love for football, LaBoy said:
"I still rely on the same things that kept me going from day one - wanting to make a name for myself, and wanting to be remembered as a good player. And the love for football. I love the game." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100708_Homecomings_abound_for_49ers_Travis_LaBoy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment