Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Article about how the Warriors are keeping busy this offseason

About being a tutor for the Samoan language, Shane Austin (who is white) said:
"I know I look like a haole, but I took that class a couple of years, and I'm tutoring student-athletes." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Safety Spencer Smith and slotback Kealoha Pilares were instructors at the recent Koa Kids Football Camp. Linebacker Jake Heun competed in a mixed martial arts fight. Defensive tackle Vaughn Meatoga works in UH's recreation department, helping to coordinate sporting activities for UH-Manoa students."


About being a referee for dodgeball games as part of his job for UH's recreation department, Vaughn Meatoga laughed and said:
"People are very competitive. I used to see things from the players' side. Now I can see things from the other side. It's a lot different, being on the other side." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Up until several years ago, nearly all football players worked summer jobs. But the offseason football-related demands have increased in recent years. One reason is that players, including incoming freshmen, are encouraged to take summer-session classes. Not only can they earn as many as six credits each summer, but scholarship players also receive stipends for living expenses and meals. Their summer days are filled with classes, homework and workouts."


About how he turned down a summer job of working as a luau entertainer, Laupepa Letuli said:
"Our job is football. I could have played (music), but I thought it was more important to focus on training." (HSA)


About working out this summer instead of taking a job, Spencer Smith said:
"I would rather work out than make money,. We want to win the WAC. That's our goal, not making extra money." (HSA)


About working at a part-time job at a retain clothing store in Pearlridge, walk-on CB Kawika Ornellas said:
"It's relaxing, chilling in an air-conditioned room. I fold clothes, work the register, talk to people. I try to sell things." (HSA)


About how he attends all of the offseason conditioning drills and 7-on-7 practices, Ornellas said:
"I'm working because I need the job, but I'm focused on football, too. I'm focused on staying in shape and having a good year." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Austin and wideout Mike Tinoco work in the Nagatani Academic Center, which is on the first floor of the UH athletic complex. Both have not missed a workout."


About working as a tutor, Austin said:
"It's fun to be a tutor. You learn as you teach. It also helps you with leadership and working with people, which will definitely help you later in life." (HSA)


About how he quit his pizza delivering job and works at a surfboard stand in Waikiki, walk-on QB Bryant Moniz said:
"It's awesome. I sit behind the desk, tell people the price, tell them what type of board they need. 'Can we get two surfboards for these gentlemen? Next.'" (HSA)


About communicating with Japanese-speaking tourists, Moniz said:
"Myoji. That's the only Japanese word I know. Every time they rent something, I have to get their last names. So I asked someone, 'How do I say last name in Japanese?' They said, 'myoji,' so it's myoji. I see a lot of Australian guys down there. They're always saying, 'Cheers, mate.' So it's, cheers, mate, too." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100707_Different_strokes_for_different_Warrior_folks.html

No comments:

Post a Comment