Friday, June 11, 2010

Jake Heun will fight in an MMA bout on Saturday

About his upcoming MMA bout, Jake Heun (who wants to have a career as an MMA fighter after football) said:
"It's something to do in the offseason to keep me in shape. I've got to start getting ready for life after football." (HSA)


About how he supports Heun's MMA participation, Mack said:
"It's not dangerous if you win. This is something he really wants to do. I support his decision." (HSA)


HSA Note: "There are ties between the UH football program and MMA. UH linebacker Cory Daniel and defensive back Parker Paredes have competed in MMA matches. David Pa'aluhi, a linebacker who is transferring to UH from Oregon State, also has fought. But Heun might be the first to compete while still an active Warrior."


About how the coaches want him to focus on football starting in July, Heun said:
"I was working out with the guys at UFS, and I told them I was looking for a fight, and they got me one. The coaches are cool with it. They want me to get it out of the way. Once July rolls around, I can get back into the football thing." (HSA)


About competing in the heavyweight division (205 to 265 pounds) rather than try to drop to a lower division, Heun (who weighs 235 pounds) said:
"I could have tried to cut down to 205, but with football, it would be tough to put back on the weight. I can't play middle linebacker out there at 205." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Heun said his workouts have focused on boxing, kick-boxing, wrestling and jiu jitsu. With his wrestling background in high school, Heun is most effective in the "ground-and-pound stuff." But he expects to rely more on standup techniques against Poti."


Heun said that at this level:
"these guys are really good with jiu jitsu. You don't want to get caught. You want to keep on your feet." (HSA)


About how he will not jeopardize his football eligibility, Heun said:
"It's a different sport. There's no NCAA championship (for MMA). I'm going to be an amateur, anyway." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100611_Heuns_offseason_training_includes_MMA_fight.html

No comments:

Post a Comment