Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bryant Moniz is trying to regain the trust of his teammates

About running sprints by himself 15 minutes after their 7-on-7 passing drills yesterday morning, Bryant Moniz said:
"I'm trying to do extra work." (HSA)


About how he needs to regain the trust of his teammates, Moniz said:
"There were a lot of people looking to me to step up and play good and lead the team. I let a lot of guys down doing that—on the team, off the team, my family members." (HSA)


About apologizing to his teammates at their final team meeting of the spring, Moniz said:
"It was hard to face your teammates and apologize for not being there. It was rough, but I got through it. I'm very sorry." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Moniz said he has tried to keep fit by working out up to three times a day. He trains with his girlfriend's brother and several former high school classmates at Leilehua. He now weighs 207 pounds, 15 more than at the end of the 2009 season. On Monday, the Warriors started their summer conditioning program, which includes unsupervised 7-on-7 drills. Moniz yesterday participated in his first team passing drills since his leave."


About being away from the team for so long, including the last 3 weeks of spring practice, Moniz said:
"It was hard, like an injury.You never know when the gam e is going to be taken away from you. I had a lot of time to think. It was rough being away, but it gave me time to get straightened out, and get myself ready to come back out here." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Moniz, who will be a fourth-year junior this coming season, has been told he will receive a football scholarship in August. In the meantime, he continues to work delivering pizzas in Mililani. He also is set to begin a job as a Waikiki beach boy next week."


About trying to get his teammates behind him again, Moniz said:
"I'll just come back and resume my role on the team, whatever that is. ... I'll still be the same person I was when I first walked on, when I was third string." (HSA)


HSA Note: "McMackin has said that Moniz, Shane Austin, David Graves and Brent Rausch are grouped in the "first tier." Those quarterbacks will split most of the reps early in training camp. McMackin said the plan eventually is to give most of the reps to the top two quarterbacks."


About competing for the starting job in training camp, Moniz said:
"I like the challenge. Shane and Dave and all of the other guys are doing a really good job. I'm a lot further behind. I have to catch up. I've been there before. I know what I've got to go through." (HSA)


HSA Note: "During yesterday's session, Moniz admittedly struggled. After his first pass sailed wide, a teammate said, "Rusty." But he said his right (throwing) arm is better than it was last season, when he suffered from arm "fatigue." "


About yesterday's 7-on-7 workout, Moniz said:
"I don't think I threw any passes over 10 yards. My arm feels good. I had a lot of rest, a lot of strengthening my shoulder." (HSA)


About having Moniz participate in their workout yesterday, David Graves said:
"It was good to see B. We didn't see him for so long. He looked good." (HSA)


About the scrutiny that QBs are under, Moniz said:
"It doesn't bother me. The way I look at it, people are going to make judgments. I'm still going to be me. I'm going to play ball the way I play ball." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100610_Regaining_the_Trust_of_the_team.html

No comments:

Post a Comment