Sunday, April 25, 2010

Warrior Quotes 4/25/10 (Graves practiced as #1 QB)

About how David Graves practiced as their #1 QB yesterday, Rolo said:
"We threw Dave in there with the (first team) because we wanted to see how he responded. He has a great on-field personality. He's got some real good characteristics. He brings some life to the guys." (HA)


Praising the way that Graves acts on the field, Rolo said:
"I like the way he acts on the football field. That's probably his strongest characteristic. It means a lot to him, very vocal, he's positive, competitive." (HSB)


About how no QB has earned the starting spot yet, Rolo said:
"I don't know if have a No. 1 yet. We feel Shane is competing and doing some good things. Again with Brent, it's consistency. .... I don't think Dave is scared of anybody on the field. ... I thought he did well. He moved the ball." (HA)


HA Note: "With Graves at the controls, the offense "tied" the score in yesterday's scrimmage before a few hundred spectators at Ching Athletic Complex. In the overtime, the two left-side receivers ran post patterns, pulling the defense to the middle of the field."


About running for a TD in overtime, Graves said:
"I ran to the (left) pylon. I was taught that at a young age. If there's nobody there, run to the pylon. It was a touchdown." (HA)


HA Note: "Or it should have been ruled a score. Head coach Greg McMackin called to replay the down."


About how Mack called for a replay of the down, Graves smiled and said:
"I counted it." (HA)


About how he'll never be satisfied with how well he's doing, Graves said:
"Things are going good. But I have to do better. I'm going to say that until the end of this. Five years from now, if we go undefeated or something, I'll say, 'I need to keep getting better.' " (HA)


About being driven to the turf by Lametrius Davis after catching a simple bubble screen, Chizzy Dimude said:
"I don't know what to say about that one. I ate it up." (HA)


About running for a long gain on the next play, Chizzy said:
"We're competing, man. It's all about putting in 100 percent." (HA)


About how he had surgery after last season because of a labrum tear in his left shoulder and now is slowed by a groin injury, Chizzy said:
"When the fall comes, I'll be all right." (HA)


About how Chizzy gives them a nice contrast with RB Alex Green, Mack said:
"(Dimude) gives a different dimension. Alex is a powerful fast guy. (Dimude) is a quick fast guy. He brings a change-up to the package. I like the change-up. It sure makes it a lot tougher for the defense." (HA)


HA Note: "Dimude said he will work on improving his leg strength this summer. Because of the shoulder surgery he could not power clean the past few months."


About how he looks forward to the live scrimmages every Saturday, Haku Correa said:
"I love Saturdays because during the week (in scrimmage periods) all we do is take our five steps and then we stop. On Saturdays I get to go all out and hit people, that's what I like. After Wednesday's practice I'm bummed out because we have nothing to do for two days. All we do is lift, and I'm just getting anxious for Saturday." (HSB)


About how Correa slightly ahead of Kaniela Tuipulotu for the starting DT spot, Dave Aranda said:
"It's still ongoing. Every day they come out and battle for that thing. Haku's really consistent making plays. Kaniela's an explosive player. It's a contest and it's every day and that's the way you want it." (HSB)


About how Tuipulotu is pushing him to get better, Correa said:
"Kani's always right there to push me. I want to get to the top and he wants to get to the top, so it's good competition." (HSB)


HSB Note: "{Correa earned a prominent role in the tackle rotation as a redshirt freshman, backing up Tuika Tufaga, and entered the spring atop the depth chart. He saw action in all 13 games and made two tackles for losses in his introduction to Division I."


About how he is much better than last year because he can play faster than he could as a freshman, Correa said:
"Last year I was learning my plays; now it's all second nature for me. I know what I have to do — everything's better, everything's faster." (HSB)


Haku said that his brother Laanui (who played for UH between 2000 and 2002) drills into him the importance of:
"staying low and consistency." (HSB)


About trying to help his brother Haku, Laanui said:
"I just try to give him any knowledge I've learned through the years. It's not really any secrets, just try to guide him the right way and he works hard himself." (HSB)


HSB Note: "The Warriors took full advantage of their weekly dose of live hitting yesterday. Early in the scrimmage linebacker Corey Paredes flattened running back Chizzy Dimude, who later took a big hit from cornerback Lametrius Davis. Dimude bounced back with a 25-yard gain on a swing pass to help set up a touchdown. The drive, directed by freshman quarterback David Graves, ended in another big blow, this one delivered by slotback Kealoha Pilares as he crossed the goal line on a 4-yard run."


About Pilares blasting his way into the end zone for a TD, Graves said:
"When you lower the shoulder and you want the end zone, that's having heart." HSB)


HSB Note: "Brent Rausch had a brief turn at quarterback in the overtime period. He hit slotback Dustin Blount across the middle for a touchdown on his lone snap."


Pleased with how they have been progressing during the spring, Mack said:
"I'm pleased with how we're coming along. We only have two more practices and a scrimmage, so we have to get the most out of this next week. We have to try to come out of this spring better than we were when we ended last year, and we're gaining on it." (HSB)


About how he did not win his campaign to be ASUH President, Jett Jasper said:
"I was upset (Friday), but a day later you think about it and me and my sister (running mate Jori Jasper) ran a really good campaign. We broke records in voter turnout. I feel like the athletic department really came together and we just came about a couple hundred votes short." (HSB)


About how all of their home games (except for the USC game that starts at 5pm) will kick off at 5:30pm, compromising between how season ticket holders preferred a 5pm start and individual ticket purchasers preferred a 6pm start, JD said:
"Hopefully, this strikes a balance and will work for all of our fans." (HA)


http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100425/SPORTS0201/4250388&template=UHsports

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100425/SPORTS0201/4250391&template=UHsports

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20100425_Correa_relishes_Saturdays.html

No comments:

Post a Comment