Tuesday, December 22, 2009

More about Manley's decision to go to NMSU instead of UH

About committing to New Mexico State on Saturday, Andrew Manley said:
"I was talking to (Aggies) defensive line coach Jesse Williams and he said I could come in and compete for the starting quarterback job. I said I was ready to commit, and he put (Walker) on the phone." (HA)


HA Note: "Manley said it was the only scholarship offer he received for next season. He said Hawai'i offered him a chance to attend classes part time in the fall (paying his own way and not playing football) with the possibility of receiving a full scholarship in January 2011 — a process called "grayshirting" — but he opted to take New Mexico State's immediate scholarship offer instead."


About taking NMSU's scholarship offer over UH's grayshirt offer, Manley said:
"UH wanted me to grayshirt, but there's no guarantee with that and I could end up with nothing. New Mexico State had been talking to me the past couple weeks, since the (Hawai'i/Polynesia vs. Mainland) all-star game, and I liked what they offered. I thought it would be the best for me." (HA)


"They told me I might be a grayshirt. New Mexico State said I could come in right away and compete." (HSB)


HA Note: "Manley burst on to the local football scene two years ago, when he was called up from the JV during the O'ahu Interscholastic Association playoffs and led Leilehua to five straight victories, including the school's first state championship. In that title game, the Mules trailed powerhouse Saint Louis, 16-6, in the third quarter but Manley calmly guided them to a fourth-quarter comeback capped by his 15-yard game-winning touchdown strike to Edieson Dumlao with 30 seconds remaining. Leilehua won, 20-16, and a local legend was born. After a prolific junior season in which he again led the Mules to the state championship game, Manley was named Advertiser State Co-Offensive Player of the Year. This past season, with many of his key skill players and linemen having graduated, Manley helped Leilehua win the OIA Red Conference Western Division and reach the league title game and state semifinals."


About Manley's lack of offers, college recruiting analyst Tom Lemming said:
"I can't believe he's not being recruited more. If he were in Chicago, where I'm based, there would be at least 10, 15 schools wanting him." (HSB)


About his difficult recruiting process, Manley said:
"You just gotta move on. That's what happens." (HSB)


HSB Note: "The Aggies began communicating with Manley during the week of the Aloha Prep Bowl, an all-star exhibition game featuring Hawaii's top players and a squad of mainland standouts."


About NMSU assistant coaches Todd Littlejohn and Jesse Williams, Manley said:
"They sold the school great to me." (HSB)


About how he's used to both shotgun and under-center sets, Manley (who is visiting NMSU on 1/8) said:
"They like the shotgun. I'll find out more when I visit. I have no regrets. Everything works out the way it's supposed to be." (HSB)


HSB Note: "Manley caught the attention of football fans late in the 2007 season, when he was called up from the junior varsity at Leilehua to replace two injured quarterbacks. He led the Mules, who were 3-3 in regular-season play, to six consecutive wins and a state championship. Leilehua lost in the state final a year ago and reached the semifinals this fall."

http://hawaiipreps.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20091222/SPORTS03/912220347/sportsfront&template=PrepSports/Manley+commits+to+New+Mexico+State

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20091222_Leilehuas_Manley_picks_New_Mexico_State.html

No comments:

Post a Comment