Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Feature story on Greg Alexander in ESPN 1420 Magazine

EMAG = ESPN 1420 Magazine

Asked why nobody recruited him despite his ranking as the top QB among 152 JCs, Greg Alexander said:
"I'm really not sure what happened. I talked to my JC coach [Keith Simons] about it, and he was kind of puzzled, too. He said that there weren't a lot of schools recruiting quarterbacks at the time. How true that is, I don't know. But it all worked out. I'm happy to be here." (EMAG)


About how Alexander struggled when he played without understanding their offenses, Mac said:
"We liked Greg from the beginning. But I felt bad having him out there when he didn't know the offense. we had counted on another quarterback, and it just didn't work out. So we put Greg in there, and it was tough for him for a while. Now, he knows the system. He's getting the ball off quicker and he's learned the progressions. He's definitely separated himself from everybody else and taken his game to another level." (EMAG)


About how it was hard to adjust to UH's system, Alexander said:
"Last year, I was kind of thrown into the fire. I was competing for the starting job in camp and trying to learn the offense in a short amount of time. The drops that we do here are quite different from most other offenses; it was different from anything I'd ever done. Because of that, I was throwing out of position a lot of times. My mechanics were out of whack.

Last season, we saw a lot of different looks from defenses. Combine that with tyring to learn a new offense -- and our offense adjsuts on the fly on every play -- and it did get complicated for me. I started to think too much." (EMAG)


Asked how things are for him now, Alexander smiled and said:
"It's like night and day." (EMAG)


About how he was reluctant to play QB in Pop Warner football, Alexander said:
"At first, I didn't even want to play the position. I was kind of upset about moving to the QB position. But after a while, it got to be kind of fun. When you're the quarterback, you're in control of the game. You can control the tempo. It's also the most challenging position on the field because you have so many different things you have to think about." (EMAG)


Expecting for UH to contend for the WAC title, Alexander said:
"I expect us to contend for the WAC title, if not win it. If it's anything less than that, then we as players didn't do our job. We have all the right pieces in place to make a run at this thinking. We have the potential to be very good." (EMAG)


About how he wants to play in the NFL after UH, Alexander said:
"I want to make a run at it. If that happens, great. If not, I feel I've come pretty far in my football career. I'll get my master's degree and try to get into coaching." (EMAG)

No comments:

Post a Comment