Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Feature article on Davone Bess in ESPN 1420 Magazine

EMAG = ESPN 1420 Magazine

About the importance of working to improve, even if nobody else is out there to help with motivation, Davone Bess said:
"I was in the weight room working out [on a recent trip back to UH], and I saw a kid just sweating and working hard. He was in there by himself, and all I could tell him was 'Just keep working, keep doing what you're doing, because you've brought back so many memories for me.' When I was at UH, there were so many times when I was out there by myself because I knew it would pay off one way or another." (EMAG)


About their Sugar Bowl season, Bess said:
"It was so exciting, I think about it every day. I go back and watch all the footage, and it makes me miss the guys that much more. Every time I come back to Hawaii it brings back memories. I look forward to coming back and being out here. Everything I learned from Hawaii help me make the transition to the NFL." (EMAG)


About being motivated by not being drafted, Bess said:
"It was real disappointing not being drafted, but you know I just took it as motivation. Going into camp, I knew what was ahead for me. I knew I had to go out and turn some heads quickly to show the coaches and organization that I wanted to play and could be an impactful player." (EMAG)


About having 54 catches for 554 yards and a TD in his rookie season, Bess said:
"I proved I was capable of making plays. I was a smart, tough and disciplined player. But at the same time, it gave me a chance to stay at it, compete and really go after what I wanted to do. So when my opportunity came, I took it, ran with it, and made the most of it. That's the thing about the NFL: You never know when your chance is going to come -- so when it does, you have to be ready." (EMAG)


About how he wasn't surprised like others about his rookie success, Bess said:
"I always have high expectations for myself, so everything that happened last season was exactly how I envisioned oging into camp. I wasn't surprised because that's what I worked so hard to do. It was just a long journey. I'm just excited that I had that opportunity and that the coaches didn't give up on me." (EMAG)


Giving some credit of his success to Bill Parcells, Bess said:
"Bill Parcells played a role in where I'm at today. He was always telling me, 'You've got to do this etter,' and when I did something well, he would always compliment me: 'that's a good job, son. You do it that way, keep doing that.' And I fed off that. It's pretty much what helped me get to where I'm at, taking in the feedback and going with it." (EMAG)


Unsure what his role with be this season in Miami, but sure that he'll compete every day for his spot, Bess said:
"It's going to be a little of what it was last year, but at the same time, I understand my role. Wherever they want me at, and whatever they want me to do, I'll do it. That's the main thing. You've got to come out and compete every day." (EMAG)

No comments:

Post a Comment