Thursday, July 24, 2008

Random Quotes from the local papers

About the coaches and media picking UH to finish 4th in the WAC, Mack said:
"It's not a big deal. Obviously people don't think we have offensive players. But we have 80 percent of our players back from last year's championship team and I have a lot of faith in our offense." (HSB)

About how Bill Bryant, assistant AD for compliance and eligibility, took a position as a vice-chancellor at Florida International University, JD said:
"I appreciate everything Bill has done for us. I'm very happy he has a job in Florida. We wish him the best." (HA)

About being selected as the WAC's Preseason Defensive Player of the Year, Sol Elimimian said:
"It's a team honor. "I'm grateful, but this wouldn't be possible without my teammates." (HA)

Asked how he and Sol prepared for the WAC golf outing (the first time either golfed), Adam Leonard said:
"I didn't do anything. The first time I picked up a club was right before I swung it for the first time." (HA)

About how he did, Adam (who noted they used a best-ball format) said:
"I knocked down a few putts." (HA)

About their golfing outing, Sol said:
"It was very challenging. I have new respect for golfers. Tiger Woods is the best athlete there is. It's not an easy sport by any means." (HA)

"I probably started with 20 balls, and left there with about three. But I survived. It was a good experience." (HA)

About golfing, Adam said:
"All of the pressure is on you. You have so much ground to cover to hit it into a little hole. It's pretty nuts. One little glitch in your stroke throws you off. I respect all golfers. It's definitely a game I want to play." (HA)

About getting top RB recruit Kama Bailey from Hawaii, Idaho's coach Robb Akey said:
"We're trying to get more players from the Islands. We've patterned our program as if we're building a family. That's one of the strengths of the Polynesian culture, in my opinion." (HA)

HA Note: "Shiloh Ke'o, a starting safety and team captain, said there are about 20 Polynesian players on the team. He said they often perform the haka in front of their teammates. Ke'o is a mixture of Cuban and Hawaiian. He has several relatives in Hawai'i, although he grew up in the Northwest."

Ke'o said that in his home:
"Hawaiian is the main culture we practice. You know how it is. Everyone is family. Friends we bring into our house, they become family. We're out there helping each other. That's 'ohana. That's the Hawaiian way." (HA)

HA Note: "Akey said Bailey blends in with his teammates. He also will have a significant role in the Vandals' expanded offensive plans."

No comments:

Post a Comment