Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Kimo Makaula commits to UH!

About accepting UH's scholarship offer, Punahou QB (who is being recruited at DE for UH) Kimo said:
"It was a dream for me. Since I was young, I wanted to play for the Warriors." (HA)

About how they would have supported Kimo no matter where he went, but this makes traveling to his games much easier, Kimo's father James Makaula said:
"It didn't matter where he went. We still would have traveled there. This decision makes it totally a lot simpler." (HA)

About how Mack is shifting him from QB to DE, the 6'3", 225-pound Kimo said:
"Coach (Greg) McMackin said he feels more comfortable with me there." (HA)

Kimo said that he has:
"always been a UH fan. I went to pretty much all of the games. Last season was great, and I'm excited that coach Mack is the head coach." (HA)

"It has been a dream to play at home and I am thankful Coach McMackin and his staff have made this possible for me. I can play on both sides of the ball, but Coach wants me as a defensive end, so that's what I'm going to focus on at UH. Whatever the coaches want." (HSB)

HA Note: "He said he was inspired when McMackin addressed the campers last week. He also said he received positive feedback in e-mail exchanges."

About his belief in Mack, Kimo said:
"After speaking to coach Mack, he made me feel that Hawai'i is my home, and playing for Hawai'i is what I wanted to do. ... I know coach Mack will have a good team this year. I'm excited for that." (HA)

About how Kimo wants to be a part of the Warriors, James said:
"He wants to be part of the program and what they're trying to do. They're moving in a positive direction." (HA)

Note: HSB reports that Kimo also had an offer from UNLV.

About his Punahou teammates Te'o, Hilliard, and Shutter (all have offers from UH), Kimo said:
"We've talked about how fun it would be if we all went to the same school, if it were UH or another school, that would be something. But everyone has to go their own way." (HSB)

1 comment: