Saturday, February 23, 2008

Quotes from the combine

Putting down Colt again, Mel Kiper said:
"That Sugar Bowl showed that he's got to put on some weight. He's got to get a little stronger and all that, maintain that weight right around 200 pounds, not be at 185-190. That's the big thing, and the delivery is all over the place. The arm strength is decent. He's borderline arm strength, but he's okay, and he doesn't have the great arm – good enough arm. He's a guy you would say is definitely good enough. … He competes hard and there's an awful lot to like about Colt Brennan. In the fifth or sixth round he'll be a nice choice for somebody, but I think the days of thinking second or third round pretty much ended at the Sugar Bowl." (Miami Herald)


About his doubters, Colt said:
"My whole life it seems like everyone said I wasn't going to be able to do it. When I went to Mater Dei High School in Irvine, Calif., they said I'd be too small. ... I tried to get into a college, couldn't find one. I went to a prep school, walked on at Colorado, bounced back to a junior college, walked on at Hawaii -- never could get a break. Everyone kept saying, 'too small, not good enough,' and I had a good career at Hawaii. So you hear the criticism now, it almost puts me at ease, like I'm going to have great success in the next league. So I'm just excited to get to a team and prove that I can do it." (NFL.com)


Asked about leaving Colorado, Colt said:
"I was accused of some crimes a jury found me not guilty of. For instance, the trespass and burglary charges that stuck - Trespass for entering a room unlawfully, yet three people testified they witnessed me invited into the room. Burglary charge for not leaving the room when asked to leave, yet I passed a polygraph test that I was never asked to leave the room. At the same time it's not like what I did that night was innocent. I was drunk and I put myself in a bad situation. I've learned from that and I take full responsibility from that." (49ers.com)

"I'm the one who's at fault for putting myself in that situation, but there were a lot of things that transpired after I got into trouble that just weren't right. It wasn't fair. I had to go through a lot of tough times. It made me a lot tougher internally. It made me realize that life is not fair. You've got to make life what it is. I was able to go on and have some success and experience some great things because of the way I changed. I think it's really helped me prepare for the lifestyle I'm going into in the NFL." (NFL.com)


Asked what he learned from the situation and how he's changed, Colt said:
"It basically taught me life is not fair. I'm the one who is at fault for putting myself in that situation, but there were a lot of things that transpired after I got in trouble that wasn't right, that wasn't fair. I had to go through a lot of tough times and it made me a lot tougher internally. It made me realize life is not fair, you have to make life what it is. I was able to go on and have some success and experience some great things because of the mental way I changed. I think it's really helped me for the lifestyle you're about to enter, going into the NFL." (49ers.com)


Taking responsibility for the incident, Colt said:
"It's not like what I did that night was innocent. I was drunk, and I put myself in a bad situation. I've learned from that, I take full responsibility for that." (NFL.com)

KFFL Notes from the combine:
"Of the skill position players, I was able to get a few questions answered by University of Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan, who fielded a slew of questions about his past legal troubles from others in attendance. I targeted my questions toward his time working with the San Francisco 49ers coaching staff during the Senior Bowl week and, specifically, his footwork.

Brennan said he injured his hip during the week and wasn't quite right. He was able to push through the pain, eventually being named the starting quarterback of the South team for the week. He credited 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz for helping him with his footwork and allowing him to use his legs more in his throwing motion."

"Of other notables, I was impressed with the candor of the aforementioned Brennan, who wasn't afraid to answer anything about his past troubles."

"Time for a few quick-hit items of note:

* Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan seemed almost timid during his time with the media. He didn't seem to have that aura of confidence about him that most quarterbacks need - the level of confidence that borders on flat-out arrogance (see Colt Brennan).

* University of California-Berkeley wide receiver DeSean Jackson isn't quite as tall as Cal wants you to believe. Listed at 6-foot through the school's official Web site, Jackson measured just 5-foot-9. Is World Wrestling Entertainment in charge of keeping tabs at Cal?

* Brennan put on 22 pounds since the Senior Bowl, now weighing a still slight 207 pounds. He credited it to being on a diet, taking supplements and enjoying trips to the fast food chain "In-N-Out Burger." Way to win them over, Colt!"


Scout.com combine notes:
"12:16 p.m. - After a controversial week in Mobile where he weighed in at just 185 pounds, Hawaii QB Colt Brennan measured in at an impressive 6-foot-2, 207 pounds today in Indianapolis. He was on a strict weight-gain program and has been working hard taking snaps under center and his five and seven step drop back. Brennan was open and honest with the media regarding his past and stated, "I have nothing to hide."

11:44 a.m. - Hawaii wide receiver Ryan Grice-Mullen said that one of his selling points to NFL teams is the fact that he's been playing since he was a freshman, so he has plenty of game experience. When it comes to rating himself on a scale of 1 to 10 at reading defenses, he said he thinks he's a 9 or a 10. He said at Hawaii, there could be five different routes out of one play, so he had to be able to make the right decisions based on what he saw from the defense.


Chicago Tribune ranks the QBs at the combine...they have Colt TENTH.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/cs-080219-nfl-combine-quarterbacks-ranking,0,997268.story

Chicago Tribune ranks the WRs at the combine...they have Bess 21st, RGM 24th, and Rivers 29th.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/cs-080219-nfl-combine-wide-receivers-ranking,0,5984886.story?page=2

No comments:

Post a Comment