Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Quotes about Samson starting at C as a rookie

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/07/25/0725satele.html

About having a rookie start at center, Jim Langer (NFL Hall-of-Fame center who didn't start until his 3rd year) said:
"I don't think it's a position you necessarily want to be in, having to play a rookie at such a crucial position. I guess if it were my line, I probably wouldn't want to have the newest member making all the line calls, regardless if he's the center or not. That being said, you have to make do." (PBP


About starting Samson as a rookie center, Miami OL coach Hudson Houch (who was SD's OL coach when rookie C Nick Hardwick started) said:
"He's going to have to learn all of the defenses, and he's going to have to make most of the offensive line calls. I think he's ready to take that role on. It doesn't come easy, but since he's a pretty dedicated guy, I think he'll be very successful at that position." (PBP)

PBP Note: "Satele certainly has the size (6-foot-3, 300 pounds) to back up Houck's talk. He also draws raves about his athletic ability from two guys who would know — fullback Reagan Mauia and guard Tala Esera, fellow Dolphins rookies who also played with him at the University of Hawaii."


About how Samson has to change his leadership style and be more vocal as a starting C, Cam Cameron said:
"It's like you hear me say about the quarterback position, center is a leadership position. If a guy puts his hand on that ball and he's not a leader, you're in trouble." (PBP)


About how he led by example at UH, Samson said:
"I told coach Hudson straight up that I'm not a vocal guy. But if he wants me to be, I'll be. I'm a leader by actions. That's what I've been living by since I played Pop Warner.

I want to get everybody's respect through my actions first and then be a vocal guy. I can't just be a vocal guy and not show these guys what I can do before I tell them what to do." (PBP)


About how Samson has been making progress as a leader, Houch said:
"People believe in him as a leader. Right now, I don't think he's a very verbal leader, but he's certainly a leader in terms of work ethic and caring about his job.

If you're a rookie, it's hard to really speak up and control the group. But considering he's a rookie, he's doing a pretty damn good job of it." (PBP)

No comments:

Post a Comment