Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Leon Wright-Jackson arrives in Hawaii!

Very critical of his performance in the awesome YouTube videos of him, LWJ said:
"All I see are my weaknesses. I'll see when I don't hit the hole quick enough, or if I have the wrong footwork, little nitpicks." (HA)


About how his grandmother was a perfectionist, making him practice writing sentences over and over, LWJ said:
"Sometimes if the letters didn't match, I'd throw away the paper and start over." (HA)


Not expecting to just be given the starting job, LWJ said:
"I want to get this system down first. It wouldn't do the team any good to throw me out there if I'm lost. I know it's going to be a challenge. I know about the hype and the pressure. I'm going to give it 100 percent and try to get better." (HA)


About how he met his wife DominiQue in the 6th grade, LWJ said:
"I was running laps. She told one of my teammates, 'I'm going to marry him one day.' We've been together 10 years. She was my first girlfriend, my first kiss, all of that romantic stuff." (HA)


About how he proposed to her after the homecoming game their senior year (getting married just this past February after a 3-year engagement), LWJ said:
"Nobody thought we were too young. Pasco is not really a big place. Everyone knew our history, how we were always in each other's lives." (HA)


About transferring from Nebraska, LWJ said:
"It wasn't the place for me. They have a great coach. You can never say anything bad about Nebraska. But it was a wrong deal for me. The coaches understood." (HA)


About how he received a phone call with a scholarship offer from UH last fall while he attended a community college in Washington, LWJ said:
"It was so random. I knew a little bit about Hawai'i from watching Colt (Brennan) on TV. I knew about the system, even about (former UH quarterback) Timmy Chang. Once the offer came, I was more into watching them." (HA)


About how other schools stopped recruiting him after he verbally committed to UH, LWJ said:
"They backed off. If I make a commitment, why would I wander off to another school? I'm loyal." (HA)


About how he added Wright to his last name in memory of his grandfather (Brady Wright) who passed away last November, LWJ said:
"We became really close. When he started to age, I took care of him. I wanted him to be comfortable before he went home to God. I was happy he was going to a better place. I owed him a lot. That's why I wanted to extend my name." (HA)


About how his grandfather lived long enough to know that LWJ had accepted a UH scholarship, LWJ said:
"He knew everything would be all right." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment