Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ikaika talks about the Detroit winters

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070726/UPDATE/707260470/1126/SPORTS0101

About playing for the Lions, Ikaika said:
"It's a blessing for myself. It's been a great experience. Everything, I go into knowing I'm going to have fun -- and I'm going to work. That's my mindset with everything. Come out here, work as hard as I can, only good things can come from that." (DN)


Asked if he has seen snow before, Ikaika said:
"I have seen snow once but not like this. Everyone's been warning me. I've been around maybe 40 degrees. I haven't been around zero. So we'll see how that goes." (DN)


Not worried about Ikaika's ability to adjust to the cold, Ikaika said:
"He jumped in the (ice-filled) cold tub one day I was in there with him and he went underneath the water, so I don't think he's going to have any problem with the winters here." (DN)


About the horror stories his Dad told him about the Winter weather, Ikaika said:
"My dad played for Green Bay so he's given me the horror stories. I'm just going to go in, have my mind focused and do the best I can." (DN)


About some of the little (and not-so-little) things that Ikaika has to learn, Coach Marinelli said:
"First of all, to get aligned correctly. He couldn't get aligned. Not getting off the ball well enough and he's a little bit high. That's my expectations right now, just do the little things. But he's a big, good-looking athlete with a great willingness. He's got to get the basic stuff right now. He'll be fine." (DN)


About how their other defensive linemen have been giving him advice, Ikaika said:
"They're all veterans, they've all been here. I'm the only rookie this year so I'm just trying to learn as much from them as I can. So I've got my ears wide open to the coaches, to the players and hopefully I get to their level." (DN)


About how the NFL players were once the best players in their college teams, Ikaika said:
"That means I've got to get better. That means really I've got to fine-tune everything, be on top of everything and I've got to be ready to work. If I come out here and go through the motions, people are going to pass me up. My personality is I can't let that happen." (DN)


About his goal to play in the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, Ikaika said:
"I'm trying to get back to Hawaii. That is my home state so the more times I can get back, the better. I'll take that trip any day of the year." (DN)

No comments:

Post a Comment