Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spring Training Position Analysis and Galdeira as the Nickel Back

HA Note about the breakdown of special team responsibilities:
"Jeff Reinebold will be in charge of the punt team. George Lumpkin will be in charge of the punt-return unit. Dennis McKnight will handle the place-kicking units, and team with Rich Miano on kickoff returns and kick coverage. McMackin will be in charge of the place-kick defense."


About how they have completed the training portion of Spring Training, JJ said:
"We've done everything we wanted to do." (HA)


Pleased with the progress the team has made learning his system, GM said:
"We made a lot of improvement. I've thrown a lot at these guys, and we still have a lot more to go. But where we are right now, I'm really pleased." (HA)


About the candidates for the starting right wideout spot, WR coach Ron Lee said:
"C.J. did a good job this spring, and Malcolm got better. It's between those two guys at the Z (right wideout)." (HA)


Ron Lee also praised wideout Dylan Linkner, saying that he:
"had a really good spring, too." (HA)


About all of the receivers, Ron Lee singled out a walk on:
"Jon Medeiros could be a surprise." (HA)


GM said that Guyton Galdeira is a good fit at nickel back:
"And we blitz our nickel a lot." (HSB)

"I started working Guyton there and he's been great, and two other guys. Keao (Monteilh), and (Ryan) Perry. They're all the same kind of guys," he added. "Smart guys who can blitz, who can do different techniques. Good athletes." (HSB)


About how he went to Bess for recommendations for their nickel back position:
"He kinda helped make up my mind on that. I asked him, 'Who are the best corners?' Because I like a corner being the nickel back. So he named off the first four guys, and I said, 'OK, I'm looking for a guy who can blitz like a wild man, cover and be technically sound, and is smart, because he's got to play a linebacker technique, corner technique, safety technique.' He said, 'Oh, that's Guyton.'" (HSB)


About his chance at significant playing time, Galdeira said:
"I'm most definitely excited about this, and I've been working hard, ever since the beginning. My only downfall is my height. But (McMackin) sees something in me, so I'm going to work even harder this summer, on my speed, on my jumping ability. Nickel's a pretty big package for Coach, so hopefully I can fill that spot." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment