Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Quotes from the Warrior Quaterbacks For Charity Announcement

About meeting the past UH QBs, Colt said:
"To see the impact they have on the community is cool. One thing that's evident about all of them is they're all successful and happy. Hopefully we can add to the tradition and heritage that the players before us have established." (HSB)

Note: The press conference yesterday was to announce the charity and its August 20 fundraising dinner. Ticket information can be found at WarriorQuarterbacks.com


About breaking 80 when golfing at Waialae Country Club with Ellroy Chong a little more than a month after his nearly fatal auto accident, JJ said:
"It was one of the most memorable physical achievements of my lifetime, I remember it was March 27, because I wrote it down. I actually played a round of golf with him, and I broke 80. I couldn't even bend over, couldn't reach down to pick up the ball." (HSB)


About how the staples holding his body together ripped apart with every golf swing, JJ said:
"It was some of the worst pain I ever felt. But after something like (the accident), you have to get back to what you used to do." (HSB)

Note: Chong, also a former UH QB, has been a physical therapist for more than 30 years and was the taskmaster pushing JJ through his rehab period for months.


About JJ's recovery, Chong said:
"I felt he'd coach again, because his faculties were there. I wasn't sure how he would respond physically, and I'm sure he's hurting to this day. His neck, his hip, his shoulder, his knee, his wrist, his elbow. There were so many different injuries." (HSB)


About how he received physical therapy from Chong for more than a year, JJ said:
"He pushed me like an athlete, every day. He set aside time for me. He's one of the most giving people that you will ever meet." (HSB)


About how JJ will nver be fully recovered from the accident, Chong said:
"He knows it's important for him to stretch and exercise daily. I do play golf with him occasionally, so I know he's doing well. I can't say he's 100 percent recovered, but he's doing well." (HSB)


About how he's helped the UH program ever since JJ became coach in 1999, Chong said:
"When June came back (as coach in 1999), anything he asks, I'm right there for him. I try to support him and the university. He's one of the most giving people that you will ever meet. He's a real special person." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment