Thursday, April 12, 2007

Quotes about Ray Hisatake

About how he's been gaining weight since he reported to UH at 320 pounds, 6'4" Hisatake said:
"I'm about 330, 335 now. It's good weight for me. I can still move, and I'm getting bigger and stronger. I feel good." (HA)


Praising Hisatake (who played DT before JJ suggested the switch to OT), JJ said:
"Hisatake is doing very well for someone who has played the position for only five days." (HA)


About switching from defensive tackle to offensive left tackle, Hisatake said:
"I told them I don't mind moving. If the team needs me to play tackle, I'll play tackle. I'm doing it for the team. A team wouldn't work unless there's cooperation and a strong unit within itself. I'm giving it a shot." (HA)


Hisatake described the difference in the 2 positions, when he played DT:
"I was lunging forward. As an o-lineman, I have to be patient, keep my hands inside (the frame of an opponent) and let them come to you." (HA)


About Hisatake's quick development at LT, JJ said:
"He's ready now, and we haven't even played a game. It's hard to say if he's up to where everybody else is, but athletically he certainly is." (HA)


About how his Japanese great-grandfather married a Samoan woman, Hisatake said:
"He married a full-blooded Samoan woman." (HA)


Hisatake, who is 7/8 Samoan (he grandfather and father married Samoan women), Hisatake said:
"A lot of recruiters asked my coach (at San Mateo): 'Are Japanese people really that big?' My coach laughed and said, 'He's Polynesian, as well.' " (HA)


About his extended family in Hawaii (he's related to Joe Hisatake, a Damien RB from the late 60s), Hisatake said:
"I have yet to meet them." (HA)


Staying in Hawaii this summer, Hisatake said:
"I love it here. I'm going to compete all spring and summer and see where it takes me." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment